OMG I have turned into the CRAZY CHICKEN LADY !!!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by crazy chook, Jan 17, 2011.

1. crazy chook

crazy chook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    Langwarrin, Victoria
    I live on 10 acres in Melbourne, Australia. 3 years ago I started with three big black australorp x new hampshire chooks.

Today as i sat in the grass in the backyard breaking up bits of bread for the mums and chicks....I started to count them...OMG.

There are 4 broodys that are in the backyard looking after ....20 chicks

Then in the brooder inside I have 8 chicks...

Then there is claude and his girls....15

Then Rory and his girls.....7

Then the silkies and the few extras in that pen..... 18

Then there are the teenagers....27 of those

Then there is speckle and her three babies and not to forget the little ones..15

Brings the total to somewhere around 114! [​IMG] Geez am I turning into the crazy chicken lady? [​IMG]

It doesn't seem like there is that many, living on 10 acres and having lots & lots of room for them and I love them. My kids and I get so much enjoyment from them.

2. Raven81

Raven81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2010
    Te Anau NZ
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] i see my future in that post [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. crazy chook

crazy chook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    Langwarrin, Victoria
    I did not want to mention the 40 or so eggs in the incubator that are due to hatch in 6 days....[​IMG]

Since they have not hatched yet I wont add them to the total..

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    See, I am the crazy chicken dude.

I have

Geoffry and his 16 girls.

I have Jerry Dee and his 5 girls.

I have Rtt and his 2 girls

+ two additional non crowing roos.

That's 28!

Plus 36 in the brooder box!

That's 64 YIKES, I don't like chicken math...

BUT you've got to figure that at least 18 of the chicks are roos so eventually I'll get back down to 46... YIKES... still too many.
    Guess I'll have to rehome some of those beautiful blue egg layers with lighter legs.

5. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    AHHHH....I love coming to posts like this... See I have 24 silkies in lockdown, 26 or 28 chickies in brooders on the porch, oh around 500 or so poultry in the yards (we farm) ,,,,got my finger on bid at all times, buying another incubator to add to the 7 we have...I don't have a problem I don't have a problem...... Anyone need eggs, we got some hatching eggs?

I don't have a problem.....[​IMG]

6. KimberlyJ

KimberlyJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Quote:Oh yes, never count your chickens before they hatch....[​IMG]

Here in CT I'm permitted to have 12 hens on 1/2 acre, so if you have 10 acres you could have 240 chickens before I'd consider you a crazy chicken lady. Does that help??

7. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Careful. You all have seen those Chicken Hoarder shows on TV recently, right? [​IMG]

8. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    Don't let it bother you---------I know some people at work think of me as the "Crazy Animal Lady" because of all my chickens, ducks, geese, goats, and my other pets, plus the fact that I'm always trying to get people to adopt one or another of the dogs/cats at the local shelter, or telling someone about a dog on cl that would be just PERFECT for them. [​IMG]

9. SimplySplendidSilkies

SimplySplendidSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    Adairsville, GA
    I would much rather be the crazy chicken lady than just the crazy lady! :[​IMG]
    I have
    9 silikes in my adult pen
    16 in my teenager pen (one blue pair to sell out of there)
    16 also in my whirlpool bath (6 weekers)
    13 in a rubermaid tub (4 day olds)
    40 eggs on day 9 (some are clear as these were shipped)
    18 eggs waiting to go in
    I Keep a crate in my car when visiting friends just in case
    It's ok you are not alone! Everyone has an addiction for me it happens to be chickens, much safer than some of the alternatives. And they keep me out of the malls as my husband likes to put it. We are acutally saving money since they joined our family. [​IMG]

Don't ask me about my Silkies and Showgirls unlesss you have lots of extra time I will never shut up about them.

10. Crickett B

Crickett B Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2010
    Blue Ridge Mountains
    Whew, glad to know I am not the only one [​IMG]

Started with just 12 in July
    Now I have for the "yard gang":
    3 Barred Rocks (1 roo)
    1 frizzled polish (roo)
    1 red sex link(?) (but it's a white roo with red streaks)
    1 Gold Laced Wyandott
    1Turken (Naked Neck)
    1 bantam light Brahma (roo)
    2 red sex link hens
    2 brown x white leghorns
    1 mahogany colored (roo and still not sure what he is)
    1 Australorp
    1 black sex link
    3 guinea hens (do they count as "chickens"?)
    1 EE hen

Then in the outside "teenage pen":
    1 Houdan (roo I think)
    1 Rhode Island Red
    2 black cochins (1 frizzeld and still don't know what gender they really are)
    2 ee (1 roo)

In the "safety pen"
    1 Old English Game (roo, which is why it's the safetypen, he wants to fight with all the outside boys, and even though he can whip them one on on, my yard crew doesn't fight like that, so its more like 4 to one)
    1 silke cross with who knows what
    1 frizzled silkie (a sassy sizzle)

Then inside I have:
    the 6 -2 month EE's (which of course,one is a roo)

Then I have what I call the "bantam frenzy baby cage"
    This is what happens when you walked into the feed store, see babies, saying to self:
    "Self, you just have to have a few of those!" Forgetting to remind self, that you really did not want bantam chicks in the first place, cause they are so small.(but SOOOO cute.) So you end up bringing 15 of the little sap suckers home with you. Gradually, of course, a few a day for a whole week. (makes it so much easier to "justify" to Self [​IMG]
    So in that pen I have:
    2 Old English(pullets, thank god! can't handle another OEG)
    2 Silkies (one white one black. Had to have 1 of each, you know...and probably roo's knowing my luck)
    2 partridge cochins (yup, you know it, another roo)
    2 black cochins (least they still look like pullets)
    1 ee pullet
    1 white cochin (I think, and [​IMG] it's a pullet)
    2 Mille Fleur D'uccles (uh huh, another roo too)
    1 conchin (all I can tell you, is yup it's a roo)
    1 gold sebright (pullet)
    1 silver sebright (pullet)

Told self this:
    Self, you are not breaking the 50 mark! No matter how bad you want spangled hamburgs, or speckled sussex. (self really really REALLY wants some of these, she likes spots)

Now, everyone has names of course. Except for the guinea hens, who I can't tell apart to save my life, so they are all called Judi, and those brown x white leghorns, who I think hate me [​IMG]

So that is what currently resides on our little 5 acres in the mountains [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by