OMG I have turned into the CRAZY CHICKEN LADY !!!

This is why I've quit counting
hide.gif

Okay since we're counting:

I have:

White Rock rooster w/ 6 white rock hens and 3 extra buff hens (Suppose to be Buff Orpingtons) = 10
Silver Lakenvelder w/ 3 silver lakenvelder hens and 2 extra turken hens = 6
Easter Egger rooster w/ 12 Easter Egger hens and five extra hens (Suppose to be Buff Orpingtons)= 18
Golden Lakenvelder rooster w/ 7 of his lovely ladies= 8
mixed pen of bantams 2 roosters and 7 ladies= 9

Grand total of 51. Good thing I don't have an incubator yet, I think the wife would murder me!
lau.gif

Will I be an Old Chicken Man?

Last edited:
ok ok...I had 101..flash flood filled my hen house and I lost 55...ok 2 yrs. go by and I am content with what I have. then I got on this BYC site and got an incubator....I am back up to 90 and only after putting many roosters in freezer camp..and now I have 4 muscovy ducks and am planning on starting up the incubator in another month or two....so welcome to the club. It's like an addiction!! You never have enough.

Cripes!! My husband says I'm the crazy chicken/cat lady.

I have 3 cats. 2 of which are bengals and will be bred!

I had 32 chickens this summer (my first year) after giving a some to a friend and freezer camp, we decided to keep 12 through the winter to see what a pain it would be.
Its not bad at all!

I currently have the 12.

Black Australorps (1 Rooster, 4 hens)
Rhode Island Reds (1 Rooster, 1 hen)
Mutts (3 roosters, 2 hens)

I have 12 Guineas on order from the neighbor for spring/early summer.

I also just placed and order yesterday with McMurray that will be here the first week of Feb!

6 Araucana
5 light brahmas
4 partridge cochin
5 turken
5 Buff Orpingtons
Plus they send you 1 exotic.

That puts me up to 50 by the time I get them all here! I will have eggs coming out my ears!

Hubby is building me a new coop though this year, and HE wants to put a room on it as a hatchery! He says the chickens are my thing, but I think he secretly wants to hatch his own chicks.
wink.png

We are also planning on a turkey order this year and splitting it with a friend. So we will have a half dozen or so turkeys in another pen for Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc.
The current chickens will probably be sent to freezer camp as the new ones start laying. Unless we decide to keep a couple for breeding after the hatchery is built.

Time will tell! At least I'm on 40 acres, and dont have many neighbors.

Oh, we also raised and released 100 pheasants this past summer!

Last edited:
ok there is 8 out in the layers + a roo
then in the teenage group there is 2x 5mth old dorking pullets & 1 roo
1x 5 mth & 3x 4 mth SLW pullets
then there is 2x pekin banty pullets
then a mother & 5 babies think 3 pullets 2 roos
i wont count the 23 in the bator.
so thats a total of 24

I love this thread....my husband tells me all the time that someday everyone will call me as the crazy chicken lady! He keeps telling me I have too many chickens....we have 6 1/2 acres in the country for them to free range on during the day and they have an 80sq ft house with an attached enclosed/roofed 200+sq ft run. I did the math and told him we have room for about 58-60 chickens without adding on: Somehow, he didn't look or seem convinced
hu.gif

We got our first birds March 2010: Started with 3 Barnevelders and 4 Blue Andalusians. You know, I took my then 11 year-old daughter to the feed store and there were the cute little fuzz-balls; it really wasn't like I needed any convincing though...it just made it easier to share the blame when we got home. Then we added 3 guinea fowl....then convinced the hubby we should order from McMurray and their minimum order is 25...then a friend who showed bantam birds lost his job and re-homed his 7 show birds with us.

So after giving away a few of extra roos and hens to a friend, sending one mean roo to freezer camp, two hens flying into the neighbors dog pen (problem now solved), and one of the bantum roos being snatched away by an owl ....we arrived at a total of 29 chickens and the 3 guineas.

Despite my husband's attempts to talk me out of it...
hide.gif
...I just got the Brinsea Octogon 20 incubator and have 24 eggs in that: 17 Black Copper Marans, 3 Easter Egger, and 4 Barnevelder. I didn't tell him about the Buckeye or Olive Egger eggs I have preordered, but he does know about the peafowl my daughter is getting.
wink.png
I figured the Buckeye and Olive eggs would just appear in the bator..... and then some Ameraucana ones ....and then some Barnevelder's from good stock. If he doesn't murder me in my sleep or force me to sleep with the chickens by that point it should all be smooth sailing.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom