OMG I need replies soon......on Silkie that just hatched..UPDATES

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by winekntrychicks, Feb 8, 2009.

1. winekntrychicks

winekntrychicks Pooper Peeper

Jul 26, 2008
    Sebastopol, CA
    It is peeping up a storm..... I am so scared......I don't know if its too hot or what....What type of breathing should I be looking for......
    seems to be breathing super fast is this normal???? [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    hi, did it just hatch right now? where is he? in the bator or a brooder? whats the temp where he is at? is he all alone?

3. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    What temp do you have? Are there more eggs to hatch soon? How exciting.

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

If it just now hatched, they often times peep a lot.

5. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    take it out of bator and put it in the brooder at 95*

6. playingchicken

playingchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2008
    Quote:I have read over and over again not to do that if you have other eggs waiting to hatch because you can mess up the humidity and endanger the rest of the hatch. They can live for several days without food and water (this is how they ship day old chicks all over the country) so they will be fine.

7. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Quote:NOOOOOOO!!!!! dont do it. it will be fine for up to 48 hours or so after hatch. Tape the bator shut , run out of the room,lock it, throw the key away and dont go back in until moday noon time.

8. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    And while you are waiting for the rest to hatch and the little guy is (hopefully) drying off in the incubator, go check out the "Learning Center" on the home page to make sure your brooder is ready and that they will live happily ever after. By the way, IF you have the baby in the brooder (hopefully not) and it's cheeping real loudly, there is a good chance it is cold.

9. winekntrychicks

winekntrychicks Pooper Peeper

Jul 26, 2008
    Sebastopol, CA
    thanks for all of the replies. Here's the story Mom had 10 eggs she collected over time while she was incubating. She had a staggered hatch. She left 3 so I took them put them in the bator. Two didn't make it. This one did. All by it's self. I hope not to disappointed anyone but It was panting in the bator. I had to take it out. I couldn't cut air holes fast enough. I cupped it in my hand and it started making happy cooing peeps once it settled down. Hubby made a box with heating pad in the bottom and heavy sweat shirt over top and air vent. I wanted to take it down to the coop and stick it under mom. Hubby talked me out of it. Baby is resting good now and drying and getting fluffy. No more distressed peeps and breathing looks normal. She hatched around 7:30 I will keep you updated if you like.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  10. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    we need baby pics![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by