OMG, I now have a chicken compound in my suburban backyard!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by augustmomx2, Jun 5, 2010.

1. augustmomx2

augustmomx2 Songster

Aug 31, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Okay, so this chicken obsession of mine has gotten out of control and dh is supporting it (although I think its due to his fishing obsession)! Now I have what looks like a "chicken compound" in my suburban backyard. Luckily, my neighbors are very supportive, but I must get control of myself! Here are a few pics:

Starting with the banty coop
    [​IMG]

Then, the banty coop and original coop
    [​IMG]

Then the front of the original coop to the right with 2 runs...the 3rd coop has yet to begin construction
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have lost my mind...and I love it!! [​IMG]

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Well, I think it looks nice. (fellow addict here)

I'm currently building our 3rd coop. The husband is making me do it so I don't ask him to build another one. He's helping with design and stuff I can't do myself (like putting up the OSB), but the majority of the work has been done by me. (including pouring the concrete) It's going really slow, in 30 years maybe it will be finished. [​IMG]

Here it is so far:
    [​IMG]

3. Chicken Chat

Chicken Chat Songster

Jul 19, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    augustmomx2- that is a nice set up you have there. Huge run. It kind of looks like you have a chicken ranch.

Don't feel bad, new2chooks, I am building my third coop as well. It's almost 2 weeks now and I'm still not done. This is it.

[​IMG]

4. augustmomx2

augustmomx2 Songster

Aug 31, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Quote:Looks like its coming along extremely well [​IMG] Yeah my dh told me "No more chicken coops, I really mean it this time" Notice, he said nothing about a turkey coop [​IMG]

5. augustmomx2

augustmomx2 Songster

Aug 31, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Quote:Oh my [​IMG] I'm going to hafta show this to dh for a few "ideas" for our 3rd coop. What a great job [​IMG]

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    augustmom........sure, make me look bad now. Although, I'm stuck right now and have to wait for DH to be able to help me with the roof, so I can't do anything til he can help me. I too have plans for a turkey coop. And a meaty tractor.

7. elmo

elmo Songster

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    One thing does lead ot another, doesn't it? More chickens means ...more chicken housing!

I have two tractors, and two coops with attached runs. But what I really need is a nice big, well insulated coop for the winter so I won't have to bring by chickens into our attached garage on freezing nights. So this year for my birthday I'm hiring a contractor to build me a shed with the appropriate ventilation for use as a chicken coop. Hooray!

8. 3chimama

3chimama Songster

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Love the color!
    Quote:

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Chicken chat - beautiful, forget the chickens, can I live there???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by