OMG! I ORDERED EGGS!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by KatyTheChickenLady, Mar 24, 2009.

1. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Oh my gosh what do I do now???? I guess I need to start with reading every post here. They will be here Friday. All suggestions please . . . . I need to got get an incubator tomorrow - what's the best one??? I'll go back and read previous posts . . . but all suggestions and experiences are super needed and desired.
    xoxoxo thanks in advance!

2. Sammysmom

Sammysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2008
    Saint Johns, AZ
    I have my first batch of eggs in my new Hovabator Genesis 1588. So far I'm loving this incubator![​IMG] All you do is add water! The thermostat is digital and preset so there is no adjusting needed. My eggs are due to hatch Friday so we'll see if I'm still loving it Saturday! [​IMG]

3. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Cool! what did it cost? Is that a common one to find?

4. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    A lot of feed stores, including Tractor Supply carry the Little Giants.

5. Sammysmom

Sammysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2008
    Saint Johns, AZ
    Quote:I had to order mine since we don't have anyone local that carries Hovabators. I ordered mine from Cutler's Supply. I got mine with the 1610 egg turner and it cost $162.10 plus shipping.

ETA: I've heard a lot of different opinions on the LG's. Some people like them a lot, others not so much! What I've read is that their thermostat is quite touchy until you get the hang of it. I just wasn't quite brave enough so I went for the Genesis.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  6. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    oh my gosh oh my gosh oh my gosh!
    I can't believe I did this.
    I am reading all thess posts in this section, have learned a lot . . . BUT I M FREAKING OUT!!! What if I mess it up??? I have been so sucessful with chicks . . . how am I going to know if an egg is sick???? At this rate i'll be talking genetics by June!
    I guess I'm off to the feed stores to see what incubators they have.
    LOL the guy who sold me the eggs told me incubators cost about 30.00 I knew that was too good to be true!

7. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    You can MAKE one for about $30.

8. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    I got my Little Giant at Tracter Supply for $42. the bator itself works pretty well, but I have heard the egg turner does not work very well at all.GOOD LUCK!!![​IMG]

9. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Wifezilla, I have seen how smart you are on other threads . . . maybe YOU could make one for 30.00, I however couldn't make one for 300.00.
    Thanks Bock that's where the guy said to go actually, unforunately no tractor supply in Idaho.
    Going shopping in morning will see whats out there. that's a big jump though 42. to 162.

10. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    wow..you sound just like me...I ordered my very first bator today!!! hovabator 1602N with the egg turner paid 106.00$ brand new including shipping-II already had a hygrometer that registers temperature and time. I am ordering eggs from a wonderful patient woman from the BYC site. 25$ for 24 eggs mixed breeds that includes shipping-her chickens are beautiful on her BYC page. I'm hoping by this time next week to have my 24 eggs in my bator!!! I have 3 RIR hens and 1 RIR roo-which I will be taking their eggs too to incubate they have yet to brood on their own so I'm taking matters into my own hands..yeah..I'm so eggcited!! for both of us---I'll keep in touch if you want to pm me and we'll go through this drama together-I'll even send pictures if I can figure this out:)..I don't have any experience doing this but through this website and all these awesome people on BYC, I feel very confident I can do it and have backup at the touch of my fingers...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by