1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

OMG! I processed a turkey today tryed pithing nightmare

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by freshegg, Sep 14, 2008.

1. freshegg

freshegg Songster

May 15, 2008
    greenfield,ma
    well I thought I understood this pithing through the brain something wrong here. I had hubby put him in a cone, then I pulled the neck down and opened his mouth, saw the slit at top of mouth and pushed knife upward towards the back and gave it a quarter turn. well the turkey didnt close his eyes peacefully matter of fact he looked around for like 5 minutes. So I cut on left side if the neck and he started draining blood really fast, 5 minutes later hes still looking around and opening mouth [​IMG] so I tryed poking the brain again., few minutes later I sliced other side of neck it bleeds a ton and hes still alive at which time I sliced throat wide open and he died. This was horrible to go through, I chose this method thinking quick and peaceful. what did I do wrong, maybe not deep enough or far enough back? It wasnt a good day before I culled turkey I made purple chickens plucker for the drill but dont know how to lock it onto the drill [​IMG] so we hand plucked. All this for a 15 lb turkey (after gutting and all). I have 5 more to do in a month or so.

2. Freshegg, I had nearly the same results yesterday...had to do the 10 cannibalistic RIR hens (only one seems to be rethinking on her aggression and she's on daily watch w/the Americana's since that roo only has 4 pullets).

I used not only my fillet knife but also tried my skinning aka butchering knife but out of 11 chickens done for the freezer not a single one died peacefully from that pithing and I tried on each one of them.

I ended up slicing their juglar vein on some and using the hatchet on the others and I do have to say that the one good thing was there was a whole lot less of the frantic, adrenalin flying/running motion which was very good in that respect.

I was wondering how the larger birds are easily defeathered, I put mine in the boiling water and counted to 10 so the feathers slide right off.

I can appreciate how cornishX has very few feathers, that's wonderful for cleaning them up but also, RIR's are truly a cold weather breed, their feathers are so dense, I had to count longer in the hot water bath for a few as the water never reached the skin, the feathers are that dense! And those birds had a very thick layer of fat beneath the skin and surrounding the gizzards (not the crops).

What in the world are we doing wrong??? It seems that out of 11 birds I might have had a chance to do at least one properly??? Or is that really it???
    edited for spelling, very dyslexic sp today...tired!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2008
  3. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    I am very curious about this method, cause if anyone saw the vid I posted from our butchering day those chickens flapped and freaked like none other without heads. Can anyone elaborate???

(I gotta add, I didn't know it was called pithing, I read the topic and thought it was a new swear word)

4. freshegg

freshegg Songster

May 15, 2008
    greenfield,ma
    [​IMG] I learned pithing here on BYC so if I am swearing its from the BYCers I learned lol

Quote:

5. Justino

Justino ♪♫ Rockin' Rooster ♪♫

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    [​IMG] omg im sorry that must of sucked LOL

6. freshegg

freshegg Songster

May 15, 2008
    greenfield,ma
    sucked isnt the word every minute felt like 10 it was the never ending murder I felt like a big pile of turkey poo.

7. freshegg

freshegg Songster

May 15, 2008
    greenfield,ma
    snowydiamonds it wasnt hard to defeather I dunked in boiled water for 30 secs.

8. brahma-momma

brahma-momma In the Brooder

Jun 18, 2008
    Burnside, Ky
    dont feel bad we tried that with 4 of our brahma roos today. i think from now on we will stick with the hatchet.

9. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Trust me, a very sharp axe or hatchet and then its over!!

10. As I'd failed in the quick end for all the first 10, when it came to my Randy (RIR), I couldn't do it, I asked my son in law to help me as I held him...there was a reason though for Randy not growing, mentally and physically, his crop was totally empty and his gizzard was so small, like a heart so it was a good decision to let him go but he was my big hope and I was failing the pith...

the hatchet works, but the adrenalin flying/running is pretty gruesome, especially if they still ahve the voice box and are...well, you know...cussing us out?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: