OMG I stepped on my BO chick's foot - UPDATE 5 days later 100% healed

JennsPeeps

Rhymes with 'henn'
11 Years
Jun 14, 2008
South Puget Sound
I was cleaning the brooder & letting the 2 chicks run aroudn on the LR floor for a few mins. When I got up, my 2 week old BO chick ran under my foot. the toe of my foot stepped on her claw. There are 2 scales lifted up and the claw is red and swollen. The 2 scales are bleeding, but not much. She's not putting weight on it. She seems in shock. I can't tell if it's broken. She chirps really loudly if manipulate it.

What should I do?? I put bacitracin on it.

She's back in the brooder w/ her sister and they're peeping quietly.

ETA: can't post pics - DBF has the camera

Last edited:
I would just keep her quiet and see what happens, not much you can do for that I don't think... Warm and quiet.
Perhaps a pic would help some more...

Just saw your edit about DBF with camera... It doesn't sound serious to me, even if it is broken I don't think you can make her a cast or anything...

Last edited:
Thanks, PBP. Right now she's resting as mcuh as possible. Her brooder mate has decided to dust bathe right next & under her. She looks alert but is reluctant to put weight on that foot.

She's breathing hard and looks like she's in shock.

I feel
hit.gif
. DBF is going to freak out. I'm freaking out. Oh this sucks.

Last edited:
You can put a "splint" on that toe or her whole foot. Do the same thing you would do for curly toe. Lay down a bandaid (sticky side up) place the toe(s) on the bandaid and place another bandaid on top. Stick the bandaids all around the toes and trim excess off of sides but not in between the toes. This will offer support for her toe as well as keep it still til it heals. Clean the boo boo first and dry it well. Only change the bandage when nec. and soak in warm water first to help loosen. Be very careful removing. I had a quail with a broken toe and it wore a bandage for about a week and did great. Good Luck!!!
P.S. Surgical grade tape works better if you have it, it's thicker.

Thanks for this advice. I was considering a splint but am going to wait until she calms down a bit. She's sleeping now. I, however, am a nervous wreck.

Oh and as far as breathing hard and in shock, she probably is in pain and binding the toe will do wonders to ease that pain.
hugs.gif

Being a nervous wreck means you are a good mommy.
Another P.S. I love pithy one-liners.
wink.png

Last edited:
I just picked up her and took a good look at her foot. I don't think it's broken so I won't splint it for now, but I am prepared to do it if needed.
fl.gif
She is walking around on it very gingerly. I'm hoping that she's just bruised (which I know she is) and sore.

I'm not normally a high strung person, but between Curry's injured foot and Dumpling (my 10-month old BR) who has round worms, I'm really on edge today. Sheesh.

Back
Top Bottom