OMG - I think my girls ate maggots!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by austradork, Oct 17, 2010.

1. austradork

austradork Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2010
    Seattle
    Yesterday I noticed my girls we're very interested in a particular patch of grass. When I walked over to investigate I found a dead rat with maggots crawling around its insides. [​IMG] I'm 90% sure that they were eating them. And I'm also 90% sure they were the ones who killed the rat (it looked like it had been gored by a beak). A few questions:

1) Are my girls at risk for eating a rat?

2) Can they get sick from eating maggots?

3) Is there any reason I should not eat their eggs for a while? I'm paranoid that somehow I will find maggots in the eggs (I know, I know, my boyfriend insists that maggots are not parasites so it simply isn't possible, but STILL!)

2. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Yummm. Good protien.

3. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    Maggots are gross to us, but harmless to your chickens. They are a good source of protein and chickens like them.

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

There is a very slight risk of botulism from decaying meat or maggots. But that is not likely.

Imp

5. kasey08

kasey08 Aunt Kasey's Farm

Mar 29, 2010
    Scottsboro, AL
    i think it would okay maggots turn into flys and chickens eat bugs so i'm pretty sure they wouldnt eat something that is harmful

6. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    Maggots are a great source of protein and birds love them because they are soft bodied & squishy. I wish there was a clean way to get them though. Having them eat from a rotting carcass is....well...yucky. [​IMG]

7. bobby d

bobby d Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2010
    Texas
    Yucky!! My girls ate maggots one time as well and nothing happend to them so they should be just fine. Ugh..it's just sooo gross!! [​IMG]

8. chickfamilyonsleepyhollow

chickfamilyonsleepyhollow Chillin' With My Peeps

We had some maggots under a barrel in our yard over the summer and our girls were in thier glory gobbling them up [​IMG] it was a sight that turned my stomach but they were totally fine [​IMG]

9. austradork

austradork Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2010
    Seattle
    Okay, I feel much better. Thanks guys. Kasey08, good point about maggots turning into flies! I'm just going to pretend my chickens ate flies. So much less gag-inducing.

Imp, do you know if a chicken with botulism produces botulism-infected eggs?

10. Tropical Chook

Tropical Chook Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    You birds will be fine. Some people on here actually make contraptions that hold rotting food that attracts flies so that they have a constant supply of maggots for their birds. If you do a search, I'm sure you'll find something of interest.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by