OMG!!! IGOR Chicken! HELP!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TyrannosaurusChix, Aug 31, 2010.

1. TyrannosaurusChix

TyrannosaurusChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    Savannah, NY
    This chick hatched a while ago and ive left it alone to dry and came back and noticed it had extra toes, but feathered feet , meaning its a cochin mix.. a pea comb.. meaning the father was a glw.

the neck is severely bent.. permanently so. the chick is deformed but he has quite a will to live. Cannot stand because of the weight imbalance. i havent tried to give it water or food yet. motor movement in legs ( toes curled) and wings. peeps quite loudly .. always flips over to back because of the weight thing, but spins himself around on a flat surface in attempt to right himself.

WHAT THE bleep am i to do? I cant kill an animal, my father in law cant either, and my husband wont be home til friday or saturday? Give me a reason not to do the worst.

Please.

sorry for crappy pics. Little igor wouldnt sit still and its a cell phone pic ( that i fwded to my email cause DH wanted pix)

Im sort of freaking out, and i normally do NOT freak out.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    how long has it been since it hatched. I had one like that but it straightened itself out within 8 hours or so. Not sure on the timeframe.

3. TyrannosaurusChix

Jul 13, 2010
    Savannah, NY
    it had pipped and took a long time to come out. id say it came out maybe 2 hours ago. before i ordered pizza and went and got it.

so you say maybe to give it til tomorrow?

feeling the neck it feels bent forward then back again [​IMG]. think bendy straw

4. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    I would probably give it until tomorrow morning and if there is no improvement, cull it.

5. dipence71

dipence71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Murrayville, IL
    I had a chick with a crooked neck and I would hold it and massage it every few hrs and it ended up completely straight and now you cant even tell which one it even was. I gave it sugar water and vitamin drops as well.

6. lavacaw

lavacaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    South Central Texas
    I had one that had a hard time standing and then walked like a hunch back. By the next day it looked like all the others. Give it until tomorrow.

7. TyrannosaurusChix

Jul 13, 2010
    Savannah, NY
    just gave it a littl ebit of vitamin.. and its acting like its dying. no peeping just what loks to be gasping .. oh Gawd

eyes closed.. must be breathing little.. kicks and makes head movement every few seconds

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  8. mothersin2ition

mothersin2ition Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Othello, WA
    awww Im so sorry......I dont have any advice, but wanted to give you [​IMG].......that is so hard to watch, Im sure. You are doing all that you can for the poor little thing, it sounds like mother nature will "cull" it for you so you dont have to do the deed yourself. Not sure if thats a comfort or not [​IMG]

9. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Quote:Ditto. Don't take this the wrong way, but you must learn to accept that you will have to cull some chicks and even some older birds if they are suffering. That's part of the responsibility of an animal owner/breeder.

10. ninjascrub69

ninjascrub69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2010
    Bloomingdale, MI
    give it a day or two, if she dosnt get better by then cull it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by