OMG I'm hooked on chickens!!! LOL

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TGarcia, Mar 31, 2009.

1. TGarcia

TGarcia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Texas
    Well, I'm officially a chicken owner now. [​IMG] We had planned on starting out with only 2 or 3 baby chicks. But ended up with 5. [​IMG] I have atleast 2 that I THINK are EE, 1 cochin bantam, and 2 others that I have no idea what they are. But they are cute. LOL The cochin is the youngest of the bunch at 9 days old. The others are 4 weeks. I have absolutely NO IDEA if they are boys or girls. Which may be an issue later on if I end up with roosters.[​IMG] But will deal with that when the time comes I guess. But for now, all I know is they are all as cute as a button. [​IMG] We bought them all from a lady that has a very nice ranch not to far from our home.

We knew we were going to have a little while before having to actually build the coop and all, since they were to young to go outside. But my husband has gone insane. LOL I got the chicks on saturday and by sunday the CHICKEN CONDO & YARD was in construction. I think I might be moving in with them. LOL This thing is going to be huge for 5 chickens. Guess that gives me plenty of room for MORE!!!! I've taken a few pics of the of construction progress. We should finish it up one day this week, and I will post the finished product. I can't wait!!![​IMG]

I think it's safe to honestly say.....I'm HOOKED!!! [​IMG] And I do see more little feather butts in my future!!!!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  2. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    [​IMG]
    And welcome to my chicken crazy world. You are SO not alone in this!!

3. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    Welcome to BYC. 2 mts. ago i decided to get 12 pullets. Well they sent 7 packing peanuts. Then i called the hatchery about a sick chick and ended up ordering 7 more. Decided to go the 125 miles to pick them up so i wouldn't end up with extras and ended up coming home with 10. It never ends LOL. Tried to join chicks annonoymus but the recording said they were all out buying new chicks. Good Luck

4. dustysangel

dustysangel Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2009
    Springfield
    I haven't got mine out of the bator yet and want to pack it full again!! Was at the feed store yesterday and was so proud of myself when I walked out of there without any chicks. If the cochans hadn't been sold I had 4 picked out of that box:ya. I might have to go get that other bator afteerall!! Welcome by the way! These guys are addicting!

5. BeccaOH

BeccaOH Morning Gem Farm

Oct 3, 2008
    east central Ohio
    Welcome to the club. [​IMG]

Build that coop big! I started in October and already have more chickens than I can properly house with ducks now on order. It's a crazy life, but I'm loving it.

6. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Welcome to BYC. I am sorry to inform you but there are no known cures for this disease you are acquired...you are doomed to get more chickens [​IMG] And I warn you...you are surrounded by 20,000 + enablers. We are useless in stopping you from getting more. [​IMG]

If you think you need a 4 x 4 coop build a 10 x 10 because you will get more chickens and need the room. [​IMG] I wanted 6 and got them then 5 more then 21 more....etc etc etc

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  7. TGarcia

TGarcia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Texas
    [​IMG] Well sounds like I'm not alone with this chicken fever I've acquired. Although I am sad to say that my littlest chick, the Cochin died yesterday.[​IMG] I was a little apprehensive about getting him to begin with since he was so young and this was my first time doing this. I had him separated from the older ones cause I didn't want him to get stepped on by them. And he seemed to be OK earlier that day. I don't know!! I guess I will wait and get these other 4 feathered and out into the coop before even attempting to bring any more home.

They will be 5 weeks old on Saturday. So they still have a little while to go. When do most of you usually put babies outside? The days in Texas are pretty warm during the day. However the nights so far have been in the 45-50 range. But texas weather changes at the drop of a hat. So who knows from one day to the next what to expect. I thought about maybe letting them go out for a little during the day this weekend if it's nice and just bringing them in at night. Any suggestions on how to handle the transition from inside to outside and WHEN?

8. LovinMyPeeps

LovinMyPeeps Sees Wine Dots

Mar 22, 2009
    Heuvelton, NY
    I feel your pain! I started out ordering 8 girls and now I am thinking hmmmm if I double the size of the coop i can easily accomodate 8 more... you see everyone elses and it turns into that baseball card thing of "collect a whole set" [​IMG] I can now see having chickens forever, they have such personalities!

9. EngieKisses

EngieKisses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2008
    Collinsville, Oklahoma
    [​IMG] Its official you have got the fever!

10. NJbirdlover

NJbirdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Salem County, NJ
    I don't even have my chicks yet and I am hooked already!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by