OMG Im in over my HEAD! Help with show form

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by IamTheChickenWhisperer, Jan 9, 2011.

1. IamTheChickenWhisperer

IamTheChickenWhisperer Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2011
    Plant City, FL
    Tho I am a long time chicken person....well....I got this wild hair to show. HAHA ya...it happened, even without owning a Standard of Perfection book (its sooooo expensive!!). I have to have the entry form postmarked 2 night! Now Im going just for the fun and exp. and because I think I have some nice birds and because I want to mingle with other folks and chickens as well.
    I want to show a "tri colored" clean legged frizzle banty, a polish frizzle, a white cochin feather legged frizzle (who has been allowed to be a chicken so wondering how much they take off for foot feathers not being super perfect???). I also want to show a Showgirl cockrel and I REALLY wanted to show one of my turkens (but in reading on another site it says they have to be RED BLACK WHITE OR BUFF (and he is red with white splash around his neck and red laced tail feathers). Now this show does accept non recog. breeds.
    But as I stare at the form Im Looking at BREED and VARIETY and trying to figure out WHAT to put in there for these birds???? And do I leave Mr. Turken at home?? I think Ive figured out what to put for the rest of the NORMAL ones Im taking. LOL
    A Little help from a show person/expert would be soooooo much appreciated.
    Ill be sitting here....by my computer....waiting.....for HELP..... [​IMG] THANK YOU

2. IamTheChickenWhisperer

Jan 2, 2011
    Plant City, FL
    **has to be postmarked tonight

3. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

First:

[​IMG]

Second:

I'd look at the breed index (here) or go to feathersite

4. IamTheChickenWhisperer

Jan 2, 2011
    Plant City, FL
    Thank You...Ive been a long time lurker and send all my chicken customers here! [​IMG] That way I dont have to teach them EVERYTHING! [​IMG]
    and 2) Im going.....but Ill be back! [​IMG]

5. IamTheChickenWhisperer

Jan 2, 2011
    Plant City, FL
    Well I guess no one here tonight has filled out a show entry form.... :-/ Guess Ill wing it! [​IMG]

6. Ms.FuzzyButts

Ms.FuzzyButts Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    North Alabama
    I am not familiar with what you want to show.... So wing it.. As soon as you get to the show, explain that it's your first time and was unsure of how to fill it out. Ask a judge or someone running the show to help you categorize your chickens properly.. They will be more than happy to help you and change your coop tags if need be. The reason they want you to fill the form out now, is so they can have the cages set up by breed and variety, and to be sure and have enough spaces for those that are registered. I know this because I ended up with a cochin egg accidentally mixed in with an order of silkie eggs. I raise silkies. I knew nothing about cochins, just that she was pretty. So I took her to a show. I guessed at her color.. And they happily changed my coop tag to the correct color when I arrived with her. So wing it!! [​IMG]

7. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    If hes a turken put down turken I just looked at an application I have and it says Breed/ variety Breed Naked neck/turken variety (color) red thats what I would put down and of course whether it is a cockerel or rooster. and the class is L large fowl, B banty,W waterfowl T turkey other than that I dont know what they would be asking.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  8. IamTheChickenWhisperer

Jan 2, 2011
    Plant City, FL
    Oh they also ask for comb type (go figure) and bearded or non bearded (again...go figure)??? I just found out I cant take my Turken...they dont recognize the color. [​IMG] !!! I was going to take some frizzled...but the one...again....Im not sure on his color (looks like a red pyle colored clean legged cochin). So do you put cochin in BREED and Frizzled in Variety?? I dunno. [​IMG] I do know he has a single comb and is non beared! LOL I appreciate the advice!!!!....Think I will hand carry my entry there tomorrow and ask and learn. Like Im taking some RIRs Bantys...and under variety I put miniature. Hope I got that one right! [​IMG] No clue what to put for the Showgirl. LOL Thanks again you folks....I sure appreciate it!

9. geosheets

geosheets Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by