OMG I'm shaking!! Fox was just chasing my ducks!!

Dances with Ducks

Songster
11 Years
Sep 28, 2008
Central Northern Front Range, Colorado ;)
I was sitting right here reading BYC few minutes ago and suddenly heard the ducks practically screaming!! I was outside in seconds in my slippers in the snow, saw the fox in the pen, tripped and fell into the electric fence. I screamed bloody murder and the fox ran off! I counted all the ducks, (they are all there!!) and locked them up just now. I usually wait until 8:00 or so thinking the fence would protect them, it has worked up till now, since Feb. 2009 anyway, but the fox got through it somehow, I was so upset I can't remember if he jumped it to get out of the pen or went through the wires.

I'd have freaked. I have unleashed some crazy on a few foxes that have come in my yard. One though was really bold, like he owned the place. He was real near my girls. So far no problems though (knock wood). Usually chasing them off with something to throw at them has made the ones near be learn to give my yard wide berth. Good luck, hope yours was so freaked out that they decide not to come back.

Hi Mrsengeseth!

Well I sure did freak, still am freaked, I just don't have any more protection for them than that fence and their little houses, and the houses are too small to keep them locked up from five in the evening till seven in the morning.
I wish I understood why the fence didn't keep the fox out?
A lady I was talking to a few miles south of here says the fox come by in the daytime and killed all her chickens.

I'm just so glad they survived another attack, haven't lost one yet to a predator, but if this keeps up . . . .
There was a fox that came by in Feb two years ago and that's why we put the fence up, similiar story, I screamed and it ran away, but it came back and I screamed again and it ran and I locked up the ducks. No injuries that time either.

It's almost seems like they wanted to play, at first at least.

Foxes can jump 6-7 feet if they want to. They are also adept climbers.

Hopefully you scared this one enough that he will think that electric fences and ladies in slippers aren't worth an easy meal!

But it sounds like you definitely are going to have an ongoing issue with foxes. You'll need to start working on some more fortifying.

Was it a red or a grey? Greys are called fairly easily, and are therefore easier to deal with. I have called in several while sitting on my front steps after dark blowing a rabbit-in-distress call. I have also killed several just shining a spotlight around periodically during the night.

And predators will do crazy things when they're desperate and hungry. A little tiny chicken hawk took a dive at my ducks last week. The ducks are at LEAST 3 times the size of the hawk but he still tried. And all while we were outside and right there too!!! One of my jumbo pekins got a cut on her face from the talons and little roll across the ground, but there was no way a little hawk like that could have lifted them. Was still scary!

I have big dogs out on the farm and don't have a problem with foxes and things like that. But I'm sure glad your scream scared it away. That could have been bad.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom