animals1981

Songster
11 Years
Jul 19, 2008
Toronto
My Coop
My Coop
Pigeons and waterfowl?

There must be some common pet birds we can keep and let out to fly other then these and chickens? Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh its driving me crazyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

u would think the world is full of millions of bird species these birds wouldnt be the only birds we can let out?

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
lol.png

* I know several people who let their parrotoid species pets out for brief jaunts. ( Uh, with their wings partly clipped if they expect them back, of course.)

Quote:
A million bird species?!?! Cool, just a little more than most scientist assessments of 10,000.
wink.png

Unless you are to wing trim or pinion, short answer is no. Keep in mind that your chickens, pigeons, and ducks that are allowed to free-range and be full-winged are long domesticated.

Dan

Guineas,doves and quail. I'd be careful having parrots around chickens.It can become expensive to treat a parrot if it catches something from the chickens. We do have a little sun conure that loves to go outside though.
birds034.jpg

I would advise against letting quail just free range. I've read some who have done or do do it, but it's a risk. Quail (like coturnix and button quail) aren't meant to be out of a caged environment....button quail will dash away to safety and avoid humans if they get loose outside (know from experience...luckily i caught them---had their wings clipped so it was a matter of keepign an eye on them and grabbing them when they thought they were hidden). Coturnix quail however friendly, I would never let mine loose....they can get scared just like any other quail and want to flea. Might stay around for a few days or more, but will probably become breakfast to some hungry wild animal, or just roam away.

Most people release quail for hunting (the quail run off into perferably a field and hide)...not for pet flocking in the yard
wink.png

Last edited:
Quote:
The only one I know about is the canadian geese. A friend of mine has some, and they all had their wings clipped as babies, so they couldn't fly. There is a way to do it so they don't grow back. She also has, or has had, pheasants, but these she kept in a pen. I don't think peafowl can fly all that well, but I could be wrong. But I have been told that they will wander off.

Quote:
The only one I know about is the canadian geese. A friend of mine has some, and they all had their wings clipped as babies, so they couldn't fly. There is a way to do it so they don't grow back. She also has, or has had, pheasants, but these she kept in a pen. I don't think peafowl can fly all that well, but I could be wrong. But I have been told that they will wander off.

Guess you never see peachick, they hatch with wing flight feathers and can flyat 2 weeks, many new breeders lose their peafowl when they try breakig them to free range. They also roost 30 ft. in trees.

Read years ago down south guy had a free ranging flock of the little grass parakeets.

Quote:

Guess you never see peachick, they hatch with wing flight feathers and can flyat 2 weeks, many new breeders lose their peafowl when they try breakig them to free range. They also roost 30 ft. in trees.

Read years ago down south guy had a free ranging flock of the little grass parakeets.

That's why I said I coudl be wrong, wasn't sure about peafowl. My son watches zoboomafoo on PBS all the time, and that's what they said
lol.png

Guess PBS isn't the greatest after all...

Back
Top Bottom