OMG its a disease!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Chicken Fruit, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    We have a mallard duckling, and decided she needed a friend. We ended up with two pekings. lol.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

GOD they are MESSY ducks! I should have just held out for another mallard or a rouen. How the heck do you keep them from being so smelly?

2. chickabator

chickabator Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    ky
    I have no clue I am doing the same thing right now I have 3 pekin ducks in a brooder in my living room right now. I have to change them out 3-4 times a day. mine are 1 week old now and stink to high heaven and are the messiest things I have ever seen they will soak their bedding down and then chirp like crazy till I get up out of the bed and change them. I wish I could figure out how to keep them from splashing their water out everywhere!

3. Calebs Acre

Calebs Acre Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2008
    Long Island
    I have had call ducks, black east indies, khaki campbells, rouens, indian runners, silky ducks, muscovies and...pekins. (Plus geese). I had so many more problems with the pekins than any other duck! They ate like pigs and were so sloppy. Then, they attacked and killed two pekins ducks just a bit younger. We should have rescued the younger ducks earlier, but it was stupidity on our parts.

Then, they killed a runner duck. When we gave them to someone, within a couple of hours, they were surrounding a newly killed bunny rabbit.

The smell was just horrible, compared to the other ducks, I think because of more water and more food. I had the splashing problem too with the youngsters I had. Now, I only spent a couple of months with this particular pair of pekins, and perhaps I had an isolated experience, but I would not want pekins ever again.

4. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Ducklings are ducklings! You are not going to be able to stop them from being messy or stinky. The only thing you can do is change them several times a day.

5. purr

purr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    east freetown, ma
    I went through the mess last year.But they are totally worth it , I love my ducks

6. Shanay235

Shanay235 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    WV
    Quote:If you figure this one out let me know. Eight years into raising ducks and every idea I've ever had has failed. [​IMG]

7. Mikhail

Mikhail Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2008
    What Gumpsgirl said. They're very messy, especially with their water. with two of my ducks, I have to change their water several times a day. they get food and anything else they've had in their mouths in it. Its ridiculous how fast it gets dirty. With my other ducks, I use a kiddie pool for a water bowl and that dosn't get dirty as fast for some reason. i can change that only once a day and it hardly even needs it.

8. Calebs Acre

Calebs Acre Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2008
    Long Island
    Forgot to add....they are all too cute to resist!!!

9. citalk2much

citalk2much Twilight Blessings Farm

Dec 22, 2008
    GR MI: TN bound!
    Instead of the bedding try a dasie mat
    We use a dasie mat then a towel on one side as a little dry spot
    Still have to clean it 2 times a day. But oh so easy just spray it off.

10. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    Wow I didnt realize the mess was so bad for everyone else. These guys are pigs, but not any more work really- just more food and water.

You guys should all try the little feed and water set up I have, they really cant make a mess in the bedding with it- just all over themselves.

And use pelleted bedding, it lasts for days and days without changing.

My biggest thing with them is the smell. I think it must be their body odor, because the mallard doesnt stink at all!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by