OMG Look at this WHAT IS THIS!?!? -ACK (beware VERY OMG graphic!)

ChirpNEggBaby

In the Brooder
8 Years
Nov 19, 2011
West Central, FL
Ok now Ive had chickens for MANY MANY MANY years....by the 100's n I still have 100's/ I follow fairly good hygine practices etc. etc. Usually if a chicken looks cross eyed at me or sneezes or WHEN IN DOUBT I move to a sick box far removed from any chickens and follow strict hygine protocals including handwashing and clothing changes etc. I do not kill them as I dont have the heart for that, but I will let Mother nature do her thing without doing anything more than offering antibiotics. If they live they go to a broker who knows he's getting my formally sick culls and do not go back to my flock!!!
BUT IN ALL MY YEARS IVE NEVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE THIS n ID SURE LIKE TO KNOW WHAT IT IS?????!?!?!?
I always assume inectious coryza when I see a swollen or weeping eye-or hard breathing. This gal, a young pullet came in with a group I purchased from another large scale local breeder who hatched her. The group she arrived with-one fell over dead no syptoms that I saw and she started getting the puffy eye within less than 48 hours. I IMMEDIATELY moved her to sick box and put on feed n water delivered antibiotics, treated her eyes with antibiotic ointment just the first 3 days for the ointment (that Ive used on plenty of others so that cant be the issue?!?) and topped her off with some vet rx just because thats what I do when anything looks like it involves the sinuses, n watched the others closely. THe rest of her group-about 25 of them, are all thriving and healthy-and other birds that they have been exposed to have also remained healthy (older birds). Well I had two others from another group/pwn fall ill with what looks like coyza that came in with another group from a rescue. She's been in the box over 3+ weeks now with them, she hasnt caught what the other 2 have. In fact she is downright perky, happy to eat, drink and just would like out of the box-she doesnt seem aware there is anything wrong with her (the blessing of a pea sized brain I guess)! I do not ever re introduce chickens that have fallen ill back to the flock, but this one has me stumped-and at this point Im actually rooting for her when I realized she wasnt going to give up the ghost easily....its started out looking like coryza or a really bad sinus virus....she DID have 2 eyes, not anymore. NO IM NOT TOUCHING OR SQUEEZING IT TYVM so dont even suggest that. Bleh YUCK ick! But AM curious as to WHAT THIS IS-that seems to be NOT contagious and oddly enough she's not catching what the other 2 sickies in the box have...(all are on heavy duty antibiotics) and her perky IM FINE attitude is baffling.
Please do not look at pics unless you have a strong stomach...even I have a hard time looking at her!!! There was a HORRIBLE smell for about a week but even that is gone now and you would think with this there would be AWFUL smell. WHAT IS THIS!?!? FYI there is no gasping, no weeping, no gurggling, not lethargic, no weight loss,-shes just fine as far as she is concerned even tho her eye is not gone and half her head is about to explode.
sad.png

sc2.jpg

sickchick1.jpg

sc3.jpg

Honestly I havent touched it except at the beginning when I pulled her but it LOOKS hard as a rock....and at that point when I pulled her, she had 2 normal eyes-were just weepy and looking like she was coming down with as I call it-the funk...I know coryza and know it can make heads swell...but NOT LIKE THIS. It LOOKS firm...it also looks as if it may be draining (that icky part in the center but its crusted over) Her attitude except for the first couple days has been FINE-Ive even given her bread with yogurt and she loves that too...eating like a pig! Wants out. But each day that eye or what used to be an eye gets bigger and bigger and BIGGER...I can barely look at her.
sad.png
NO breathing issues, no gasping. Appreciate you looking-trying to help-Im really really baffled.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom