OMG Mites on Silkies

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SundownWaterfowl, Aug 7, 2008.

1. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Well, I was looking over my black silkie rooster, and I found mites all over his feathers. How do I get rid of them? I put some DE in their bedding. Should I dust them with DE?

2. goldensunriseranch

goldensunriseranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Mays Landing NJ
    I use Scalex mite & lice spray. And I spray it on their backs and under each wing. DE can't really hurt but sometimes it can irritate them. But I would use the DE to treat the bedding to get any living off the birds.

3. SundownWaterfowl

Where do I get that? I have a Tractor Supply and Agway. Would I find it there?

4. goldensunriseranch

Jul 1, 2007
    Mays Landing NJ
    I would think one of those would have it. I got mine online when I ordered some other vet items. And one bottle has lasted me a really long time. A Petsmart would probably have it also since it's used for caged birds like parrots and parakeets too.

5. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I hope the silkie gets some relief from the mites. If you have vetrx, I was told to put some on the birds head because the treatment can drive bugs to their head and the bugs hate the smell of vet rx.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  6. SundownWaterfowl

I have a Parakeet and Cockatiel and I have some 8in1 Mite and Lice Bird spray. Could I use that until I can get the Sevin dust?

7. SundownWaterfowl

The 8in1 spray has the same ingredients as the Scalex spray. I just looked it up. So I guess I will use that for now. Until tomorrow when I get the dust or a new Scalex spray.

8. goldensunriseranch

Jul 1, 2007
    Mays Landing NJ
    I was just going to say that would be good since it's the same ingredients. Sounds like your in business!

9. jessupfamily

jessupfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2007
    SW Indiana
  10. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    If the organic method does not kill the bugs, which is what I found to be true, I would prefer to find relief for the bird. I was offering info on a product that is effective. I am sorry if you took offense.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by