1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

omg my 4 month old chick has a black beak

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by peep peep betty, Oct 28, 2013.

1. peep peep betty

peep peep betty Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2013
    my 4 month chick has a black beak and im very worried and dont know what it is
    [​IMG]
    also my 5month has a sore on her nose
    [​IMG]
    have any ideas why?

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Don't worry, the blackish beak is normal. Different breeds of chickens, and even individual birds within a breed, have their own color of beak. Some breeds have yellow beaks, other have pure black beaks, some are bluish, etc.

The sore on your 5 month old chick's nose appears to be an injury. My chickens usually get injuries like that when they fight with eachother, especially when they fight through wire. It should heal fine with no attention, though if you want to, you can put some antibiotic ointment (nothing that contains "cain/caine" ingredients, as those are harmful to birds) on the wound.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    X2. Very few chickens have pure yellow beaks. For example, Wyandottes have "horn" beaks, which are shades of yellow and black.

My chickens get those injuries too. They're usually fine in a couple days.

4. peep peep betty

peep peep betty Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2013
    she has had this for a week or so

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The sore on her nose is probably an injury from a feeder, waterer, a fence, or something else she has injured it on. I would do a walk-through around the coop and run, or anywhere else she could have cut it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by