OMG! My broody serama serama/brahma chicks! What now?

kvmommy

Songster
9 Years
Jan 2, 2011
Ok, so my serama decided to go broody and hid her eggs under our deck. The only roo is a brahma so I didn't think they'd hatch. After the first several days and I thought she was missing she'd come out to eat. She would come out every morning and I'd give her high protein warm food and protect her from the others because all of the LF, including the roo seemed to want her dead. Well the past 3 days she hasn't come out so I thought maybe she died because its soooo cold and rainy. Today I pushed some food under the deck and she came out...then I heard chirping! Let me tell you....best chicken moment of my life. I'm so proud of her. I didn't think the eggs would hatch because I wasn't sure they could breed and she only laid eggs less than a month before she went broody. But, its really cold out. I can't get to her or the chicks. What should I do? When I put food under the deck the LF go under and torment her. Do I need to get chick feed for them since its so cold there are no bugs out? Will she be able to care for chicks when its this cold? And since they're half brahma will they grow too big for her to care for them? I'm so excited I'm losing my mind! This just feels so right.

Is your roo a standard Brahma?

How the heck does that work? lol.

I would get her out and set up an area in the coop that is fenced off, or even put her in your garage with them. They aren't protected under your deck, and if they are picking on her - bad things can happen.

Yes they will need chick starter. :) Congrats!

Yes he is a standard brahma...he is absolutely huge. I was going to get rid of him because I was worried he'd hurt her if they mated...but she always avoided him. When she went broody I thought the eggs were either infertile or wouldn't hatch because the size of the chick in a tiny egg would be too much. But her best bud (ameracauna/polish) also was hiding her brand new pullet eggs at the time so I suppose its possible that she hatched hers, but thats a LF egg so I'm not sure that my serama could have successfully kept them warm.

I don't know how I'm going to get them out from under the deck. I guess when she eventually brings them out I'll have to herd them into the pool shed where its warm. I keep peeking under the deck trying to see anything I can't sort of make her out, but I hear chirping of at least 2 I think. I'm soooo curious how these babies are going to look. A brahma/serama...gonna be really cool!!! My husband 'hates' chickens. But he spoils them and Gobbles (serama) is HIS only chicken. He is going to be so excited. He'll deny it like always but he'll be out there with his head lamp trying to see them. I love him...he's so funny.

Yes he is a standard brahma...he is absolutely huge.  I was going to get rid of him because I was worried he'd hurt her if they mated...but she always avoided him.  When she went broody I thought the eggs were either infertile or wouldn't hatch because the size of the chick in a tiny egg would be too much.  But her best bud (ameracauna/polish) also was hiding her brand new pullet eggs at the time so I suppose its possible that she hatched hers, but thats a LF egg so I'm not sure that my serama could have successfully kept them warm. 

I don't know how I'm going to get them out from under the deck.  I guess when she eventually brings them out I'll have to herd them into the pool shed where its warm.  I keep peeking under the deck trying to see anything I can't sort of make her out, but I hear chirping of at least 2 I think.  I'm soooo curious how these babies are going to look.  A brahma/serama...gonna be really cool!!!  My husband 'hates' chickens.  But he spoils them and Gobbles (serama) is HIS only chicken.  He is going to be so excited.  He'll deny it like always but he'll be out there with his head lamp trying to see them.  I love him...he's so funny. 
She could have stolen other eggs as well. I have seen a barred rock mate a silkie though. Seremas are smaller. Brahmas are bigger. That will be interesting!

Can you not crawl under?

Nope...my 2 year old can though...not sure thats a great idea! LOL Theres about a 6 in. deck space between the ground and deck. I can't believe she did it. Its so cold and she's alone under there. But its nestled in a corner between the house foundation and the steps that used to be there and its dipped pretty deep. She must have dug a hole. Its the warmest possible place and well shielded from the wind...but not rain. I dont' think the chicks can survive well out there though.

Nope...my 2 year old can though...not sure thats a great idea!  LOL  Theres about a 6 in. deck space between the ground and deck.  I can't believe she did it.  Its so cold and she's alone under there.  But its nestled in a corner between the house foundation and the steps that used to be there and its dipped pretty deep.  She must have dug a hole.  Its the warmest possible place and well shielded from the wind...but not rain.  I dont' think the chicks can survive well out there though. 
Is it really that cold? My broodies have their babies out now. As long as they don't get wet, and can get under mama, they should be fine. You're going to have to entice her out with treats. Is she a friendly hen? All that's needed is a simple chick chick chick and my girls come running.

I think its that cold..but maybe its not for chickens. Its 50 today and much colder at night with freeze alerts for the next couple of days. She is friendly in that she'll come when called but doesn't let me pet her. She's always been the most jumpy and nervous...she'll survive anything kind of chicken. But she won't bring the chicks out for treats, she barely came out for porridge and flax seeds I tried to coerce her with. A few bites then she went back under. I'm going to get some mealies today. I wonder if she can resist those.

I think its that cold..but maybe its not for chickens.  Its 50 today and much colder at night with freeze alerts for the next couple of days.  She is friendly in that she'll come when called but doesn't let me pet her.  She's always been the most jumpy and nervous...she'll survive anything kind of chicken.  But she won't bring the chicks out for treats, she barely came out for porridge and flax seeds I tried to coerce her with.  A few bites then she went back under.  I'm going to get some mealies today.  I wonder if she can resist those.
That's not cold enough to bother them. It's about the same here. Highs are in 40's today.

Have your husband with you if you can, or someone else that can block her from the deck while you coerce her as far away from it as possible. Once you get her out - the babies should follow. If they don't, you'll have to let her go back under. They should though. She will call them to the meal worms.

Any way you can keep the flock locked up until you get her and her chicks out? Just so they won't frighten her back under.

They only go to the coop at night so i wont let them out first thing in the morning. ill try to coerce mama out with the babies tomorrow morning. I got her to come to the edge of the deck after a lot begging. There are 2 of the cutest fuzziest chicks I've ever seen in my life! They do seem to have unusually short legs. Especially the light colored one. She waddles really funny and has a hard time walking. She has coloring similar to her dad..who's very curious as you can see him in the pic. How is one black? They are smaller than all my LF chicks I hatched so I'm pretty sure they're the seramas babies. She is sooo paranoid. Surprisingly all the LF came to see them but they actually left her alone and even let her eat without attacking her or the babies. They just stood back and looked...very fascinated.

They only go to the coop at night so i wont let them out first thing in the morning.  ill try to coerce mama out with the babies tomorrow morning.  I got her to come to the edge of the deck after a lot begging.  There are 2 of the cutest fuzziest chicks I've ever seen in my life!  They do seem to have unusually short legs.  Especially the light colored one.  She waddles really funny and has a hard time walking.  She has coloring similar to her dad..who's very curious as you can see him in the pic.  How is one black?  They are smaller than all my LF chicks I hatched so I'm pretty sure they're the seramas babies.  She is sooo paranoid.  Surprisingly all the LF came to see them but they actually left her alone and even let her eat without attacking her or the babies.  They just stood back and looked...very fascinated.

I think those are from your EE/Polish, as they have a bearded (or partially bearded) appearance. They are most likely small because the eggs were small.

That's my guess, and I'm sticking to it! :p

They are so cute. What a great mama!

Back
Top Bottom