OMG, My chickens just ate a whole bunch of puppy food!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by max13077, Dec 20, 2012.

1. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

Will they be OK? I have 10 hens and they together ate about 3/4 of a 5lb bag of purina puppy food...

2. Trefoil

Trefoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    They like it. Mine go after the cat food. No, it won't hurt them, although if they ate that much they may have the runs from the change.

3. cowcreekgeek

cowcreekgeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2012
    Hurricane, WV
    They mighta shared a bit of it w/ your puppy, or some other dog/cat/coon/birds/etc. but ... keep an eye on the crops for a bit, before feedin' anything else. And, this serves as a good reminder for folks to store foods/feeds ideally indoors, but always in a way that it can't become infested/spoiled, most esp. by rats/mice. And, provided that hasn't happened? Shouldn't do 'em any real harm ~'-)

4. Achickenwrangler#1

Achickenwrangler#1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    west virginia
    The chicks will be just fine. Its protein, its good for them! I add several scoops of high protein dog food to the dry feeder in the winter. They love it.

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Yes, I agree with the above post. A little puppy food will not hurt them in the least - in fact the added fat and protein will be good for them in the winter!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by