OMG! My chickes are HUGE!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Rooneytune, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Rooneytune

Rooneytune Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Tacoma
    I swear my babies doubled in size while I was at work today. [​IMG] my sweet little babies are not so little anymore, they are almost 2 weeks old and are just starting to loose their fluff. The problem is that they are getting way to big for their box! Our coop is not ready and they aren't ready either... any suggestion for what would make a good tween chick brooder?

2. SilkieChickenLover336

SilkieChickenLover336 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    New Jersey
    we need pics

3. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    One time I had mine in a box and had to cut down one side of the box and add another box using duct tape because it was still to cold outside to go to the coop. [​IMG]

4. angelbabyamy

angelbabyamy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Myrtle Point, OR
    My husband went to the co-op today and they had rabbit cage kits (you have to put them together), but he's getting me a 30x36 cage for $42.00. My babies are 3-4 weeks and are in several totes and really want out! After that, they are going to graduate to an A-frame chicken tractor when it gets warmer. Then they will free-range with the rest of the chickens.

5. Rooneytune

Rooneytune Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Tacoma
    I think we are going to re-purpose our old pack and play as an upgraded brooder! I'll post pics when I get it back from my mom's house tomorrow! [​IMG]

6. wonachickencooptoday

wonachickencooptoday Out Of The Brooder

Dec 22, 2010
    Well, I put my big babies in the shower- all 25 of them. First put down a black plastic trash bag, then a big cardboard box, then your shavings. I had to change the shavings every two days and not use that bathroom, but it worked for me for about 3 weeks til they went into their coop. Mind you, the smell is horrendous and the mess is huge, but they couldn't get out. I just hung the heat lamp from the faucet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by