1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

OMG. My cornish X are getting huge. Pic.

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by PikeCo, Jul 22, 2011.

1. PikeCo

PikeCo Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2011
    Ohio
    They are only five weeks old today and some are over 8lbs already. I think they are really healthy though.[​IMG]

2. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    [​IMG]

Good job. What are you feeding them, how are they housed?

3. TDM

TDM Chillin' With My Peeps

Really?

4. PikeCo

Jun 16, 2011
    Ohio
    Sorry my pic showed up rotated. Fed 30% turkey starter for three weeks, weaned them down slowly to 22.5% protein by mixing my own blend of Show Chow. We also use Broiler Max. They are in a 10 x 10 coop inside a large block shed. They are a 4H project, my kids are really excited. We have raised them for four years now. They love to eat the birds that don't go to show. The kids do the work, I make the decisions. I make it a point to help them understand why we do things the way we do. Thank you!

5. PikeCo

Jun 16, 2011
    Ohio
    Here is one more poor picture.[​IMG] I am so sorry that it keeps rotating them! Don't know what I am doing wrong. They don't show up that way until I post them.

6. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    I was wondering which Pike County you are from. I looked back through your posts and found that you are in Piketon.

My family was from that area about 150-175 years ago. A great-great uncle was actually a constable in Piketon.

I worked with a fellow in Dayton named Entler who lived down that way, between Waverly and Piketon. I went deer hunting down at his place a few times.

7. PikeCo

Jun 16, 2011
    Ohio
    That is neat. I know quite a few Entler's. All good people. Small world huh?

8. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Hi PikeCo, an easy way to keep those pics upright would be to upload to a photo storage website such as photobucket.com. They have built in resizing and rotation tools to get those chickens standing upright instead of spiderman walking along the walls. [​IMG] I sure hope I can someday own chickens. What an awesome gift to give your kids...knowledge of and connection to our food. [​IMG]

9. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Quote:You know Cecil? Yes, it's a small world. I've traveled a good part of it.

10. PikeCo

Jun 16, 2011
    Ohio
    If he is about 65 or so, I know who he is. I am 36 so he probably doesn't know me. I am sure he knows my grandfather pretty well though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by