OMG my eggs arrived!!! More questions!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Berlena, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Berlena

Berlena Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2010
    Near Disneyland!
    The eggs arrived!!! [​IMG] Thanks Robo! The are very well packaged and they arrived with no breakage!

Now what?? I've been reading and reading up but I feel like I have no idea what to do LOL [​IMG]

How long do I need to let them rest?

My 'bator has been up and running and hovers right about 101 according to all the thermometers I have in there!

I've been following ChookChick's cheat sheet https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=14596-incubation-cheat-sheet but its geared towards chickens as far as the timing....says don't worry about humidity til the 18th day.... what about quail??

Thanks for being patient with me! [​IMG]

2. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:#1 THROW THE CHICKEN CHEAT SHEET AWAY!

ALLOW THEM TO REST ANYWHERE FROM 8-24 HRS (ITS KINDA PERSONAL CHOICE THING...)
    DURING INCUBATION HUMIDITY NEEDS TO BE 45-55%
    LOCKDOWN HUMIDITY NEEDS TO BE 65-75%
    TEMP OF 101? THATS A TAD HIGH EVEN FOR STILL AIR BUT WILL WORK (DONT BE SURPRISED IF THEY HATCH A LIL EARLY THO) IDEAL FOR STILL AIR INCUBATORS IS 100.5 AT THE TOP OF THE EGGS, FORCED AIR 99.5 AT THE TOP OF THE EGGS (THE TOP OF THE EGGS IS SIGNIFICANT HERE)

IF ROBO SHIPPED THEM IN A CARTON OR EGG FLAT SAVE IT, YOU CAN USE IT DURING LOCKDOWN TO SET THE EGGS IN THE UPRIGHT POSITION WHICH WILL HELP THEM HATCH

3. Berlena

Nov 7, 2010
    Near Disneyland!
    Hmmm okay....I don't have something to measure humidity though. I have aquarium thermometers and I have a digital one in there. Digital says 101 but it sits a little higher than the glass ones...and the eggs will set lower too so I figure I should be in the ballpark? [​IMG]

Should I put water then in the channels in my hovabator?

4. Sumatra503

Sumatra503 Kozy Orchard Farms

Sep 24, 2010
    Fill the channels in the Hova Bator. I generally fill all but one or two until lockdown when I fill the rest.

I haven't tried the egg carton hatching method, but my quail hatch just fine on the mesh. I use berry baskets set upside down over the eggs to keep the little quail out of trouble and to sperate batches and color varieties.

5. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    You Really Kinda Need A Hygrometer.... Its 1 Of Those Tiny Lil Important Details As Gamebirds Eggs Are 1000xs More Humidity Sensitive And Dependant Than Most Other Poultry With The Exception Of Waterfowl...

Go To Walmart, Look In The Hardware Section And Find 1 Of The Small Combo Temp/ Humidity Units They Sell--- Springfield Brand I Beleive, Small White Unti Uses A Single Aa Battery And Chuck It (gently!!! ) In On Top Of Your Eggs. They Cost About 8 Bucks Or So And Are Usually Very Accurate Right Out Of The Box... Really Are An Invaluable Tool For Hatching.

Yes You Will Need Plugs Out And Water Trays Filled...

New Style Hova With The Clear Plastic Liner Tray On The Bottom? If So The Largest 2 Inside(middle) Trays Should Be Close To What You Need (may Varry Depending Greatly On Your Climate And Other Factors)

Old Style Hova With No Liner--- Fill The 2 Main Trays That Are Molded Right Into The Styrofoam Bottom

6. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Oh, Btw, Humidity Changes Will Effect Your Overall Temp ... So Watch It Closely When 1st Adding Water At Startup (like Now)

7. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    SORRY TO KEEP PICKING, I'M JUST SEEING LIL LFAWS HERE AND THERE--- ITS NOTHING PERSONAL I JUST WANT YOU GET THE BEST RESULTS SO...(TRYING TO BE AS HELPFUL AS POSSIBLE IS ALL [​IMG] )

THEM LIL AQUARIUM THERMOMETERS? DESIGNED TO WORK WHILE SUBMERGED... ALSO NOT USUALLY ANY MORE ACCURATE THAN THE JUNKY THERMO HOVA SHIPPED WITH YOUR 'BATOR. --- JUST SO YOU KNOW [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  8. Berlena

Nov 7, 2010
    Near Disneyland!
    Quote:I appreciate it....heading over to Walmart LOL [​IMG]

9. Berlena

Nov 7, 2010
    Near Disneyland!
    Okay I am back! With my brand new Digital Humidity and Temperature Monitor(Springfield).

I am glad I asked so I have a few more hours to mess with the bator till popping in the quail eggs! I put in the water and now just waiting on the new thermometer to let me know the actual temp and humidity in there. Thanks JJMR794!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  10. Berlena

Nov 7, 2010
    Near Disneyland!
    Also when I put them in the bator...is there a preferred way to place them? I assume small end up?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by