OMG MY HEN HATCHED EGGS! Now what?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by meli229, Oct 13, 2013.

1. meli229

meli229 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2011
    Santa Rosa
    First off, so sorry if all these questions have been answered. I'm so excited and nervous that I didn't have the patience to scroll though pages. My chicken books don't have much info on hatching "naturally".

I went to feed the hens this morning and found out that were chicks under my broody! She's been in her own nesting box, in a large dog kennel, separated from the rest of the flock. What do I do now? I've only raised chicks from the feed store before!

Should I move the chicks under a light in the house?
    Should I leave them with her?
    Do I need to put special chick feed and a different waterer in her kennel?
    Can I find out how many chicks are under her?
    The reason I knew there was chicks was one of the chicks had fallen out of the nesting box and was still alive but cold. I stuck it back under her, but I'm concerned it was to far gone. Is there something I can do?

Anything else you can tell me, ASAP, would be great!!!!

THANKS!!!!!!!!!

-Melissa

2. roosterslayeggs

roosterslayeggs Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2013
    Congrats!!!!

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Congrats on the hatch! You really don't have to do anything, but let momma take care of them. You don't have to remove them unless she decides for some reason that motherhood is not for her, but it's unlikely. It will be best if you leave them for mom to take care off. Feed mom and the chicks chick starter, mom can eat it too and it won't harm her, even if it's medicated. Do NOT feed the chicks layer feed in any amount. The high calcium content will harm their kidneys. Provide water in a shallow dish to prevent drowning/soaked chicks and fill the dish with clean pebbles or marbles as well, as an extra precaution. Mom will most likely get up within the next 24-48 hours and start moving around with the chicks, then you can see what's going on and how many hatched. If she's tame and used to you can can sneak a peek under her, if you want, but it will be better to hang on a bit and see when she gets up. Hope your chilled chick is o.k.

4. meli229

meli229 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2011
    Santa Rosa
    Thanks for the advice! The nesting box she (and chicks) are in has a lip of about 4 inches. I'm concerned that the chicks won't be able to get out, or if they do, not back in. Should I put some food in the box? There isn't space for water.

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    They should be able to get out of there and if they can't get back in mom will find a spot on the floor to sleep with them, unless you put a little step or something in front of the box that they can use to get up and in again. Put some food and water outside the box somewhere where mom can find it easily when she gets up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by