Omg! My Incubator Just Got Turned Off!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jeremy, Jul 3, 2010.

1. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    So I have my incubator on a power switch in my room, Thursday was lockdown, so today I'm on day 20! I have a 5 month old Corgi puppy who has recently just been house trained. He's done really well but like all babies he has his accidents. He was out of his kennel running around the house when all of a sudden, it got really quiet and he had disappeared... like any parent would, I noticed and immediately went looking.

It turns out Toby is in my room, underneath the table the incubator is on about to go poo! AH! I run over to him, and try to scoop him up, he squirms and tries to run away. Eventually I grab him and we make it outside.

I'm not exactly sure how long that's been, hardly and hour if even that. Well I went to go check for pips and I noticed that the room was a lot quieter... and that the little red indicator light isn't on like it normally is... sometimes it goes off, but only for a minute. At first I thought I was crazy, I checked the plug and it was still in so I thought maybe it was just running a little more silently? Then I looked at the thermometer... it had dropped to 95.5! So, I start freaking out! I figure somehow, in our scuffle, Toby must have stepped on the switch for the power strip turning off power to the incubator completely. Thank the heavens that I realized that! I've switched it back on and the temps have already risen back up to 98, the humidity never changed it's still at 65%.

Will my hatch be okay? [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    You scared me to DEATH Jeremy! Shame on you! Those eggs will be fine. We both went to way too much trouble to get you the best possible eggs on the planet, (LOL, just kidding) so there is no WAY something could go wrong on day 20, no WAY!!! You should post a pic of the eggs I sent you, and of whatever hatches. 95F is no big deal. It will just slow them down a tiny bit. No harm, no foul. (Note, I did not say "no fowl" because there will be lots of "fowl" tomorrow or the next day. I betcha!

3. TexasVet

TexasVet Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    Willis TX
    I'm sure they'll be fine. I've taken almost-ready-to-hatch eggs that were abandoned by my broody and almost cold, popped them in the 'bator, and gotten a good hatch. My personal opinion is that we're far too concerned with slight temp fluctuations. After all, a broody leaves her eggs for 10-20 minutes at a time while she goes potty, eats, and drinks.

Kathy, Bellville TX
    www.ChickenTrackin.com

4. sonjab314

sonjab314 Constant State of Confusion

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    I think you'll be ok. When the temps drop it just slows down the hatch some. There have been posts on here where people have had power outages for a long time and their eggs still hatched. Good luck to you.

5. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    remember momma gets up off the nest. and by then they start producing their own body heat. you should be just fine [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by