1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

OMG......MY INJURED PULLET IS CHIRPING

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mtnhomechick, Jul 20, 2008.

1. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Well, as some of you know I am chicken sitting these days for a two month old injured pullet "Scarlet".

I am here alone with her ( missing the party .....dh ( smarter than me ) is AT party ) and it is quiet. Now, I have had Scarlet in a sling in a location where she can see our deck which is always full of birds.

She is in her sling just a chirping away.

Is she mimmicking the birds or do chickens sometimes chirp? I personally have never heard a chicken chirp!

I don't know if it's normal but it sounds real pretty [​IMG]

2. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    My girls have a whole repertoire of sounds, from trilling to pseudo-clucking (they're just 7 weeks old). We can tell what their mood is based on the sounds they make.

Bet your girl is just making a new kind of noise. Your girls ounds like she's content.

3. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Either content or bored I suppose.

4. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Chickens make all kinds of sounds. Scientists say they have upwards of 35 distinct vocalizations, more than cats and dogs combined.
    I probably don't ant to know who paid for that research.

So it could anything from pain to wishng SHE was at the party you should have gone to.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by