OMG My Sebbie Laid an Egg!!!

Discussion in 'Geese' started by tropical chicken, Feb 7, 2007.

1. tropical chicken

tropical chicken Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2007
    St. Petersburg, Fl
    I was so shocked to discover a nest with an egg in it yesterday!!
    After all, my babies are only going on 1 year of age. So, what should I do with it?
    Wait for her to lay more and see if someone will sit them, or what?
    TIA

2. Mike_Winters

Mike_Winters Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2007
    Connecticut
    cool it may not be fertile poultry can lay as soon as their mature 3 to 4 months old my ducks have babies at only 6 months

3. Lynn Manes

Lynn Manes Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2015
    California
    [​IMG]
    Hi everyone. Here's a photo of our new females, 7 month old Chinese(as we were told). At least one is supposed to be a Chinese. I think the lady said one is possibly a Chinese/Toulouse mix-the gray one I'm sure. Don't know much about goose breeds yet, so any thoughts on the breeds of these 2 are welcomed. They will be our Toulouse gander's little harem. We will probably integrate them this evening.I sure as heck hope I sexed them correctly. One was super easy to tell she was a female. But the other, the gray one, we could hardly find the vent as there were so much thick downy feathers covering it. When we gently pushed on the abdomen and around the vent, no penis appeared. It was just like a slit there.Both geese are 7 months old. I have renamed them Pippi and Gypsy. They are both very sweet.Keeping our fingers crossed that Loosey Goosey will be nice to them,too, especially since we did this for him:) Does it matter how we integrate them? Should the females go to the male or visa versa? Bc Loosey is a rescue, we don't know his age, but are thinking he's older than the girls. Will that matter?

4. Lynn Manes

Mar 18, 2015
    California
    [​IMG]
    Here is Loosey Goosey taking his bath last night.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
  5. jtn42248

jtn42248 Overrun With Chickens

Geese can be very difficult to sex correctly. However, since breeding season is pretty much over you should be able to integrate them without much problem. First you need a place for the new geese to be safely housed apart from but within view and sound of your existing goose. Give it a few days to get them used to each other then try a release of them into a large neutral area. They will be cautious of one another and may bicker and bite at each other. Be there with them on the off chance that one or the other tries to seriously fight so that you can separate them. With time they will be fine together I am sure and I know that your existing goose will appreciate the goose-company.

By the way, I am no expert at breeds and only have my 11 Toulouse, but the picture you posted look more like a Grey Saddleback mix and a Toulouse mix.

6. Carrosaur

Carrosaur Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2014
    Nashville, TN

At this point age shouldn't matter. And like Jtn said, since breeding season is over it shouldn't really matter the sex.

Vent sexing takes A LOT of practice. Adults are much harder to sex because they have a lot of control over those muscles, it may seem like you have 7/10 females but in reality you may only have 5/10 females.

If you REALLY want to know the sex, you can try again in a few days, or find an avian vet and they will do it.

Also, I agree with Jtn again, you've got a Toulouse/Chinese and a Gray Pom/Chinese.

7. Lynn Manes

Mar 18, 2015
    California
    Hmm,I didn't see Jim's post but thank you both for your thoughts about the girls. So breeding geese only occurs at a certain time? I've got to get a book on raising geese.That's good to hear, bc now I feel more secure about putting Loosey Goosey gander with them. I'm still hoping he'll be happy with just these 2, as we have no room for a third goose. The darker goose was very easy to vent sex.I'll try again on the other, but if it turns out she is in fact a "he", will I have trouble having 2 ganders and only 1 female? Doggonit, keep your fingers crossed the gray one really is a female. So which breed is which? The woman I bought them from was certain the dark one was a purebred Chinese. She said that she had Chinese and African. She still had 1 gander left as I took her last 2 females. The reason too that I think these are both girls as they were all 3 penned together. The gray one which I thought was a Toulouse/Chinese x was aloof with the 2 others. When we took the other out of the pen, I felt really bad bc the woman's gander was going nuts that we were taking his girlfriend away from him.She said the gray one has always been passive & kept to itself basically.I still haven't put all 3 together yet. I have to do this on a day I know I will be right there all day with them just in case they don't get along with each other.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  8. Carrosaur

Mar 8, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    You're positive she didn't have Toulouse on the yard or any mixes? You got both geese from her? The one that has gray patches is a Gray Pomeranian/Chinese or African mix.

This is what I Chinese goose looks like:

[​IMG]

The one in the back of this picture is a Chinese Toulouse cross.

[​IMG]

And no, putting them together right now don't be a problem, you'll just need to be very vigilant come breeding season and be prepared to separate/rehome/or get an extra female.

9. Lynn Manes

Mar 18, 2015
    California
    No, she only had the three geese. She hadn't had them very long and she didn't raise them herself from her own breeding stock. She decided not to keep them bc she was getting into a show circuit, and felt she needed the time for that. So she did the right thing in finding them all a good home. She passed on the info that was given to her about the geese to me. I am only interested in giving my gander company and bc he's a big goose, I wanted females that pretty well equalled his size, bc if they ever do breed I certainly did not want anyone hurt. And my number 1 objective was to obtain healthy animals.As far as their breed, it doesn't matter to me and I asked just to have the knowledge myself, bc these birds will be my pets only and hopefully down the road we will also have the benefit of eggs. I'm very happy with them, & I want them to be happy here too, which they seems to be so. They are very healthy, and actually they are quiet, too. If these pix are from your flock, they sure are nice looking geese. I really appreciate this help from you and the others here. Thanks so much.

10. Carrosaur

Mar 8, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    I live in the suburbs so I can't have noisy geese like Chinese ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by