OMG - Not sure I'm ready for this!

CupOJoe42

CT Chicken Whisperer
8 Years
Apr 11, 2011
I volunteered to farm-sit for friends of ours, who will be gone for a week. They left last night and it took my DS and I 2 hours to feed, water, let out and milk the 4 goats, 2 rabbits, 2 dogs, unknown cats, and 17 chickens. Well, 2 of the show bantam hens were broody and guess what... they hatched 2 baby chicks so far! We called our friends to let them know and they told us to bring the chicks to our house to take care of for the week! I guess we'll be adding to these two as they hatch. My own chicks aren't coming for another 5 weeks and the brooder is not finished!

We quick washed out a plastic storage tub, threw paper towels on the bottom, plugged in my Ecoglow chick brooder and put it on a nest of towels, added a stuffed animal, and a tupperware lid of water, and tossed in the 2 half-dollar size chicks! I don't have a chick water thing yet (wanted to have DH make nipple waterer) and need to buy chick starter as our friends had none.

They were peeping away before and now I think they are asleep under the Ecoglow, tho I hear an occasional peep. Please say a prayer for me, as I would hate to mess up anything as this is my first time with any animals other than cats and dogs.

Will post pictures as soon as I can!

You are a very nice friend for doing the "extra" chick duty. Did they tell you they had chicks that were due? I have never left our animals to the sitters if there were babies due. I think you are amazing
love.gif

WOW!!!
bow.gif
You are such good friends. That is a lot to ask of anyone, especially not having done this sort of thing before.

When I was a vet tech (before children) I used to do this type of thing all the time, but I was at the least a bit experienced. It was anxiety city for me, being responsible for someone's pets and farm.
barnie.gif
I really didn't love surprises like extra animals, baby one's at that!! I always did a lot of praying and just had to keep telling myself that as long as I took care of them as they were my own, I knew I had nothing to worry about. If anything were to happen I knew I had done my best.
Use your instincts when it comes to making decisions on care. You will do great and think at how much you will learn by this experience. Sometimes it is good to be thrown into a situation and see how well you adapt. Hopefully you will be able to look back in a week with a big smile on your face as you wipe your brow and take a big sigh of relief that they are back and you did great!!
celebrate.gif

You've got this!!
thumbsup.gif
We are all here for you
yippiechickie.gif

You mean I have to give them back????
ep.gif

I should mention that anytime I've gone over our friend's house in the past, I've asked if I could help out, or if they could let me try to milk the goats, etc.

If this doesn't make me a country girl, NOTHING will!!!

Thank you all for your support. I feel better knowing that my BYC friends are here for me!
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif

Good luck and I can't wait to see pics! I'm getting 5 silkies with my order in a few days and I can't wait to see how much smaller they are than the aussie chicks. Once again good luck and also kudos for being such a good farmsitter!

CYG

I forgot to ask what kind of chickens they are - looks like a Bearded d'Anvers Bantam to me... anyone else have a clue? Will have to take a picture of the mommas and the roo.

Back
Top Bottom