OMG OMG OMG I am in my first lockdown

shanshan51

Songster
8 Years
Sep 7, 2011
Vacaville, CA
So my first two eggs went into lockdown last night and I cant concentrate at work. Only a couple days left! Then as soon as these hatch I have 4 more going into lockdown. The brooder is all set up and I am soooooo anxious. The first few to hatch are going to be surprise crosses because we have barred rock, reds, sexlinks, leghorn, austerlops, and ameraucanas. Heck this is so exciting!

jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
Congratulations. I remember my 1st time. I was so excited I could not even sleep. Good luck.
fl.gif

One question. I read somewhere that people use old egg crates to keep the pointed side down. I did this. Is this a good idea? Does it make it easier for clean up and hatching?

I always let mine sit natural in the incubator on there sides. I found this works best for me.
BTW:ya on your first hatch, I was very excited for mine in Mar this yr.

HI, I have used both methods.
I prefer the carton
I think it keeps it a little cleaner and for me it is easier to keep visual track of pips.
When I have a large hatch without the carton.the hatched chicks roll the eggs and I lose track if the pip is turned over.
I read a suggestion to cut a hole in the bottom of the egg carton to allow better circulation.......
Congratualatons on your first hatch.I will admit I get as excited
after many as I did the first........
Let us know how it goes..............
fl.gif

Toni

Back
Top Bottom