OMG OMG OMG I DID IT..** PICS ADDED ** UPDATE

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Crazy4Chicks, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    OK I set my very first egg today -- it is just one lone duck egg but I am hoping that momma duck will at least lay one tonight and I will sneak it in the bator tomorrow that way if they both hatch [​IMG] they can keep each other company. She was laying nice for about 5 days in a row and as soon as I got the nerve up to hatch she stopped laying for a few days [​IMG] but out of the 5 in the frig I cracked one open and there was a real nice bullseye kinda small but still had the "rings " of a bullseye so I am hopeful that the one egg in the bator is fertile.
    I got my X on one side and my O on the other - have had the bator running for a few days temps seem to be holding around 99.3 to sometimes 101.0 hopefully that is normal but the humidity is staying low only around 47-50 %.
    I have turning chart I plan on turning at 7am - 12 noon- 8 pm - will these times be alright?
    the egg went into the bator at 2:30 so day one starts at 2:30 tomorrow - or ends at 2:30 tomorrow?
    sorry for all the dumb questions as you can tell I have never done this before LOL

Julie

Last edited: Mar 4, 2008
  2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

You might consider putting some bottles of water in the incubator since you only have one egg in there. It will help keep your temps stable.

3. tebs78

tebs78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    I agree with that! I made the mistake of having one loan egg in the bator and my temps wouldn't hold stable!

4. wilds of pa

wilds of pa Chillin' With My Peeps

put the ones from the fridge in to, ive already had eggs in the fridge and decided to see what happens, by golly they all hatched with no problems..couldnt say how long they would be good for hatching being stored in a fridge, but i can tell you this the eggs from the fridge on this hatch where in at least one week...Now i wouldnt recommend storing hatching eggs in the fridge, but if you ever get in a pinch and have some in there go for it,, trust me they can hatch if there fertile.... [​IMG]

If your gonna put them in, give them alittle time to come to room temp first, then put them in...it dont matter if there set a day or so apart , they will be happy when the company arrives...

Charlie

Last edited: Feb 21, 2008
  5. Crazy4Chicks

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    that is sooo cool I would never have thought to use the frig ones - but they have been in there for afew days is it still alright to put them in??
    too bad I already cracked one open - but I had to see if it was fertile or not - if I put the frig babies in that will give me 5 eggs and if momma lays tonight [​IMG] 6 eggs - I think I will stick with 6 for the first hatch I dont want to over due it and mess something up - at least these are my own eggs and I dont have to worry about shipping cost or anything and if I have luck and they hatch I will feel better about ordering eggs off BYC.

god I cant believe I am doing this I must be crazy LOL [​IMG] [​IMG] ( we need a ducky jumping out of the shell LOL )

Julie

6. wilds of pa

do it, if everything goes right for you with the bator you should have some ducklings in 28-35 days..depending on breed.. [​IMG]

charlie

7. Crazy4Chicks

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    well these are mutt eggs the mom is my black cayuaga ( how ever that is spelled [​IMG] )
    and she has been breeding with two males - one a white pekin and the other a creasted/mallard mix
    so there is no telling what these little ones will look like LOL
    all I know is I am really hoping for more females to even out the flock some.

35 days holy cow I dont think I can wait that long LOL
    umm what day should I candle these at? and how will I know that they are growing?
    thank you so much for your help - I am sure I will have tons of questions in another day or two

( p.s love the ferret avatar I had ferrets and miss them dearly )

Julie

8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

You shouldn't have to wait 35 days since your aren't muscovies...they're the ones that take 35 days.

9. wilds of pa

Yup yup Katy is right on the muscovies, i figured id through the hatch times out there as you didnt say what you where hatching............Id candle around day 14-15 you'll see lots of tiny vanes running all over the place, maybe even movent in inside..

Do as much reading you can on hatching duck eggs. [​IMG]

thanks on the ferrett..there bad little critters...they like to hide things on you....

Last edited: Feb 21, 2008
  10. Crazy4Chicks

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    I will spend some time doing some reading - thank you for your help.

Believe me I know how awful ferrets can be I had a female silver sable named Jasmine and a sable male named Weasel and I would lose things my shoes, the remote to the tv, they would steal all the dogs toys and take them under the couch while the dogs were outside.
    Mine loved ice cubes as a summer treat, ice cream , iced tea - just about anything they could get.
    I had to rehome them when we moved into a new place and had no room for their 3 story cage !! but some friends have them and they are doing great. Ours were Marshall ferrets - I would love to have some again just have to get them past DH first LOL

Julie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by