omg omg omg omg omg omg!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by max13077, Jul 10, 2008.

1. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

I went into the coop this morning and all the hens were crowded around something on the floor......

[​IMG]

FIRST EGG!!!!! YEAH!!!!! Even a double yolker!!! The shell was very thin, should I be feeding oyster shells?

2. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Congratulations!!!!!! If you are feeding layer pellet, it should be enough. But if you are still on grower, you should switch to layer feed. Its probably just because she is just starting to lay.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Congratulations.

Yup, if the shell was thin, you should be mixing in about 5% oyster shell into your feed.

Of course some of us wish the shell would have been hard and that you would have tried to incubate the egg...[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. max13077

I just switched them to layer pellets a couple of days ago. What timing! [​IMG]

5. max13077

Quote:They had already gotten to it and peck a couple of holes. [​IMG] No roosters anyway!

6. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Quote:Your so lucky!!!!! I have never gotten a double yolk
    [​IMG] Maybe one of my new babies will grow up to be a double yolker

7. candyd

candyd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Corinth, NY
    Congrats! It is always exciting to find your first egg! With a double yoke! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. Portia

Portia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    South Central PA
    Congrats! A double yoker to start off the sequence, how auspicious. I found my girls first egg yesterday, what a trip. I guess soon it won't be quite as novel, but I still think its going to take some time for the amazement to wear off...we'll see what today brings. Makes me smile just thinking about it. [​IMG]

9. Nuggetsowner:)

Nuggetsowner:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Minnesota
    Congrats on your first egg. Its always fun to get a double yolker. I had a triple yolker once. I bet that will never happen again!! [​IMG]

10. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

OH, MY GOSH! I know just how you feel. I found my first egg from a silkie this week. Congratulations!
    Ain't it great!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by