OMG OMG OMG We got PCS orders!!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by tabsmonsters, Jan 8, 2009.

1. tabsmonsters

tabsmonsters Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Laclede County, MO
    My dh called me and told me we have our orders to our next duty station.

Drum roll please..........................................

We are going to Okinawa, Japan!!! This will be our second time going there. We were there from 2000-2003 and our youngest was born there. I don't have time for more info, so I will try to post more tonight. We are waiting until dh gets home to tell the kids, so I had to tell someone! I will be back later tonight!

2. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    Yay for you! I'm glad you are happy about it. I would be terrified!

3. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    How neat, I loved Okinawa, but that was the 80s. Hmmmmm can you smuggle Japanese Chicken eggs out? hehehehheehhe

4. tabsmonsters

Apr 27, 2007
    Laclede County, MO
    Quote:I didnt say I was happy, lol! Well, kinda 50/50 right now. I will get into why later!

5. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    My dad was stationed there twice. My oldest sister was born there his second time around. (But she is in her 50's now [​IMG]:old )

6. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    Portage County, Ohio
    Terrified? errr.... Well, after more PCS orders than I can count, ... well, ok, I could count them, I still have copies of them all in fact, but all you can do is look up what all you should pack and prepare for. Crying doesn't help, trust me when I say Uncle Sugar doesn't care if you cry or not!

It's always just another adventure!! Just think of all the new recipes to find, places to sight see, pictures of chickens to send to us here at BYC, and fabrics to buy for quilting! I learned to quilt at my first duty station at the craft center, and it's also where I learned to cross-stitch, other assignments I learned to matt and frame pictures, TAKE and develope pictures a photography class, do basic car maintenance, voluntered for different aid projects, helping build schools etc... oh man, lots of other things too, just can't think now, but yeah, orders are that odd combo of excitement and well, yeah... maybe some fear till you learn more about what's happening, but mostly adventure!

Quote:OLD!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] YOU better HIDE!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
  7. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    Tab! how cool! can't wait to hear all the details! [​IMG]

8. Biddieacres

Biddieacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    My father was stationed there in the 1960's with the Coast Guard I believe his ship was the Escanaba. He still talks about every detail of his time there. He loved it.

His trip was cut short because his father fell ill, so they flew him back to the states.

I think his wish is to go back one more time and see it again.

9. JustChicky

JustChicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2008
    East Texas
    Yay! I was stationed there in 2001 - 2002. I wish I could go back, but I don't think I would want to live there for a long time. One year at a time is enough [​IMG] I liked it there, but I am not in the military anymore [​IMG]

10. tabsmonsters

Apr 27, 2007
    Laclede County, MO
    Well, what a day this turned out to be! The kids are excited to be going back there. I am excited and freaked out at the same time. We had talked about going back but figured it wouldn't happen. He has to report in no later than July 31st of this year.

We have had our house on the market since Sept with only 3 showings. We have to decide if we are going to rent it out, or knock the price as low as we can go and pray that works.

I am worried about bringing our dog over. SHe is part of the family. I raised her and her litter mates since they were a week old when their momma died so she sees us as her parents and the boys are her brothers. I just can't bear the idea of her staying with someone else and I dont trust anyone to love her as we do ( I know its silly, but still..). I will have to do more research on the requirements.

We have to sell the truck, the dirt bikes, 4 wheeler, and my chickens [​IMG] . I have a friend that said he would buy them from me, but still. I haven't decided if I should sell my bator. I doubt they will let me have chickens in base housing even if I bribed them with fresh eggs [​IMG] and I am sure I can find one when we get back.

My mom is less than thrilled. My dad seems ok with it. I think the in-laws took it fine.

DH will be in an infantry unit. His job is in motor transport so I am not sure why they stuck him there. They have deployed guys stationed in Oki to Iraq, so I have that worry as well.

The last time we were in Oki, it was hard. I went over preggo with youngest DS, oldest was 2 and a major handful. I didn't travel off the island, not even to go stateside, because the idea of dealing with two younguns on a 22-23 hr flight was too daunting. So it was just hard.

However......

The kids are now 8 and 10 and much easier to care for so we can travel. Australia isn't too far from Oki! And there are TONS of free playgrounds/parks for the kids to enjoy.

The pay is eggcellent! We could save up alot of money. The people are friendly and there is tons to see and do. I found the most fabulous fabric store there, it was 3 buildings FULL of all kinds of fabric! I can continue my college classes there and much cheaper than here. The food is great. The Marine Corps family bond is much tighter knit there than I have witnessed stateside. I have heard the DOD schools are great. The crime rate is very low. We have been there before so we know what to expect.

I guess I am just overwhelmed with all that has to be done. If it wasn't for trying to sell this house, it wouldn't be so worrysome. I am determined to enjoy it more this time. I am just going to miss my little farm and enjoying the feeling I get when I go outside and see my ladies and gentleman running to me for treats. I will also miss the satisfaction of growing our own food. I may be able to sneak a plant or two of tomatoes! I know it's only 3 years, but it can feel like a lifetime.

My dh celebrated his 12th year in the Marine Corps this past summer, so this may well be the last chance we have to go before retirement. I know that it is what you make it and I am determined to enjoy it. It's everything that has to be done before we get there that worries me.

I am sorry this turned out so long. It is all still crowding my head and everyone I know ( except DS #1!!!) is in bed. If you have read this far, thanks! I will definitely keep in touch and stay on BYC while there. Thank you so much~~~

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by