OMG Pipping w/blood showing

JD

Songster
12 Years
Sep 10, 2008
Tennessee
I have 4 eggs that I had to pull from a silkie 3 days ago when she quit sitting and they got cold including one that hatched on that 1st day that was shoved out from the nest and cold. My husband brought it in and was looking very bleak and not moving...very cold. So I hooked up a heating pad and warmed it while getting the bator warm. Well he/she as I have name it Miracle is doing great but of course lonely. This next egg looks like it piped from a blood vessel but still moving and another is starting it's pipping. I guess I'm going to be up all night, lol. I have the humidity in the R-com at 73 with a damp rag in there. The autopump stop working on me. Do you think that would be to high for the pipping? I know it's late but if anyone is out there tonight please help!
Jodi

It sounds like it should be ok. I've had them hatch out just fine even with a little blood when they first start pipping. I know it can be a bad thing if there is a lot because that would indicate that the chick pipped thru a major blood vessel. Not much you can do besides wait it out though, but if it's just a bit of staining don't worry too much--I've seen that at least once in every hatch and it's no big deal.
fl.gif
jumpy.gif
fl.gif

Last edited:
Thanks kittymomma, It looks like it was a foot that might of pearced the blood vessel..This was a first time Silkie setting and her smarts are not all that. I was not going to this this in the house this winter. I had my fill during the summer and now I'm at it again.

Well I was up till 6:00am and he needed a little help but seems to be doing ok and the next one will probably be out in a few hours. I still have two more eggs in there that were looking good 3 days ago. I didn't know what stage they were at when I put them in there. So hopefully they'll be hatching soon. I will get pictures soon. I sure hope I can find homes for them, I definitely don't need more silkies in the house, lol

I wish you were closer. DH would kill me (wouldn't be the first time he's thought about it..
gig.gif
) but I was reading a thread with my 10-year old DS last night about a 2-month old silky chick that adopted a bunch of day olds. It was so darn cute and then ds looks at me and says, "Mom, we NEED some of those." My boy--we spend hours on the math homework almost nightly, but he needs no lessons in chicken math, a born enabler for sure.

lol I wish we were closer too. I have 12 full blooded silkies outside. The first one that my husband brought in from the cold that was pretty stiff is a full silkie, black and five toes. These last two I don't know how many toes yet but they are feather footed but pink skin, so they are mixed with a bantam mix that is part mille fleur and red black tail japanese bantom. These are going to be white tho. Cooking supper right now but I will get pic's of all three.

Good luck,
I hope everyone has worked out of their shell well. I thought I was going to have to help one of my Cochins eggs this evening, went back out there after forever, and guess what the little baby had finally popped out.. One more to go till she hatches all of them..

Good to see someone nearby. My daughter lives in Columbia and I live in White House. Yeah I had one silkie sitting and the other newbie took over the nest. Didn't do a good job. Here are some pics. First two is the one that broodie shoved out of the nest and was cold and stiff when hubby brought it in and I warmed up w/heating pad. Doing real good but lonely. The next pic's is of the silkie/mix both have pink skin and feather legs and the one closes to window does have 5 toes.

2010-11-07_18-05-53_56Medium.jpg

2010-11-07_02-26-47_858Medium.jpg

2010-11-07_18-07-00_537Medium.jpg

2010-11-07_18-06-15_89Medium.jpg

Back
Top Bottom