OMG please help NOW! Major chick injury * GRAPHIC PIC*

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TyrannosaurusChix, Aug 7, 2010.

1. TyrannosaurusChix

TyrannosaurusChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    Savannah, NY
    All was fine until my daughter picked up a chick and claimed she dropped it. is this the yolk that has come back out? is its intestines? is there any hope? The chick doesnt look good but i want to know if its intestines or if there might be a small chance of letting it dry up.

I feel its the worst. Im so upset about this, especiall since she was specificall told not to handle them ecause they are fragile.. she is 13 with developmental problems ut she knows she did wrong and seems upset. pic to follow.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2010
  2. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    The chick will probably not survive. When they absorb the yolk their bellies are very fragile. Sorry... [​IMG]

3. TyrannosaurusChix

Jul 13, 2010
    Savannah, NY
    edited to remove picture

still peeping and when i picked it up it was trying to run away from it [​IMG] I dont know what to do!!! trying to hold it still so it doesnt kick at it

Last edited: Aug 7, 2010
  4. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I am so sorry about the chick but the best thing to do at this point is to cull it. I truely don't think that is gonna go back inside [​IMG]

5. TyrannosaurusChix

Jul 13, 2010
    Savannah, NY
    The sac just broke and yolk come out, but it seems there is a gaping hole and whatever blood vessels were entwined with it. DH doesnt think it will last an hour. we are still deciding but i dont want it to suffer

6. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    So sorry for your little peeper., doesn't look good... I would take a very sharp knife to his neck... better to end the pain now. Sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

7. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    sorry, but the little one will not be able to survive. I would euthanize it. Sorry.

Matt

8. Mandy1296

Mandy1296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2009
    Jasper Georgia
    I think that little guy is too far gone. Looks like now what's left to decide is to let him go on his own or put him down quickly.

I hate to see that and I know how upsetting it is to have one hurt. Today I had to cull a chick for the first time. It hatched yesterday. Not a pleasant experience to say the least but now I know the little guy isn't suffering. Not something I want to do often for sure. So sorry.

9. TyrannosaurusChix

Jul 13, 2010
    Savannah, NY
    hes out there now taking car of it. i cant even stand this.

Im going to take the picture down .. i dont even want to look at it. This one was the last to come out of the bator... so it was extra fragile compared to the others.

Im a pretty strong person with everything else in my life but an injured animal just tears me up.

Thank you for the wisdom, this is my first hatch, glad you guys could help.

10. EastinChickens

EastinChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    Michigan
    Quote:Sorry you had a bad experience with your first hatch. [​IMG]
    I had my first successful hatch today - one chick so far, and waiting on 17 more eggs to hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by