OMG!! She stole my chick!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by nifty50chick, Aug 31, 2010.

1. nifty50chick

nifty50chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2010
    I can't believe this!
    Brought home my new chicks today, got them in the brooder, everyone had a drink, big scramble in the feeder going on, lots of kicking and scratching, everyone looking great! [​IMG]
    I double check that all my cats are out in the yard and grab a moment to dash to the store.
    I walk back in the door, listening for the cheep cheep coming from the living room. I hear it and head for the brooder with a big smile on my face. [​IMG]
    As I am passing the front entrance hall, I smile at my border collie and she lowers her head! Hmmmmmm, she has NO poker face. Whenever she has made a bad choice in her daily actions, she wears her guilt like halloween mask. I move in closer and realize......
    She STOLE a Barred Rock chick and put it in with her 7 day old puppies![​IMG]
    Talk about maternal instinct! She want's to mother the chick.
    We have put up a baby gate so there will no further "chicknappings"

ps.....other than some motherly drool, chick is just fine! [​IMG]

2. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Awwwww! That is so sweet, I was afraid of where this was heading when you said cats. lol, then the god. That is so wonderful! Imagine the little chick actually nursing the doggie. That is one sweet dog you have there. [​IMG] to your wonderful puppy dog.

3. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    aww. That is sweet.

Be careful in the future. My dog Jelly started "bathing" chicks after she had her puppies. Sometimes "bathing" is inadvertently deadly, so keep an eye on her. No matter how sweet her intentions...

4. DearAbby

DearAbby New Egg

Jul 19, 2010
    Central Minnesota
    I thought you were going to say that the doggie ate your baby chick. So glad it didn't!! Did you get a picture of the chick with the puppies? That would be cute.

5. The Lisser

The Lisser Chillin' With My Peeps

That is TOO funny!!! And she picked a black and white one - are all her pups also B&W?

[​IMG]

Melissa

6. Deanner03

Deanner03 The Cake Queen

You didn't take PICS????? [​IMG]

7. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Whew. Usually stories that start like that do NOT end like that. Your dog must be a sweet girl.

8. nifty50chick

nifty50chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2010
    I forgot my camera at work! i will bring it home tomorrow and get pics of the chicks, i wouldn't have taken one anyway, my rescue mode kicked in and i scooped up the chick in a heartbeat! lol

yes, her pups are black and white, so i guess she thought I had stolen HER baby!

9. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

Quote:awwww... that is SO funny! She sounds like a sweetie, even if she does give herself away! Sounds like the baby gate was a good idea. [​IMG] Hope all your babies are happy & healthy for many years to come.

10. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Awww, what a sweet dog mommy. See, even she wants chickens! [​IMG] Glad she didn't hurt the chick in the process, and I do agree, the baby gate is a good idea.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by