OMG - silkie's first egg?? or a fart?? (UPDATE & QUESTION)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by technodoll, Oct 28, 2009.

1. technodoll

technodoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    I just found this little (tiny!!) white egg in a corner of the outside run, on the ground, about an hour ago -it was NOT there earlier this afternoon as I always check everything - could this possibly be my one and only silkie pullet's first egg?? She's about 7 to 8 months old, not really sure... [​IMG]

I got six brown eggs from the other girls today (I have 10 pullets of laying age in all).

All other hens are red and black sex links and lay lovely brown eggs... I had been getting a few small eggs the past couple of weeks and thought that maybe it was from the silkie but now I find this!

OR IS IT A FART??

Can a brown egg-layer lay white farts?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(I have small hands, the egg on the left is big but not jumbo! the white egg really is tiny, DH laughed and said what the heck are we supposed to do with that?!)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  2. GAChknGirl

GAChknGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Denver, Illinois
    looks like a egg to me, thats how small mine are!

3. akpeeps

akpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Wasilla, Alaska
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Yep! Silkie egg!!

4. technodoll

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    [​IMG]

OMG I'm so happy!! finally after 3.5 months!!

[​IMG]

5. Vanessabuffsnsilkies

Vanessabuffsnsilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    NE Ohio
    Looks like a silkie egg alright...

6. technodoll

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    I hope the eggs get bigger as she gets more practice because they are useless at this size, like a pigeon egg or something [​IMG]

Do they? [​IMG]

7. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    yes they will get a bit bigger like any pullet egg that starts off quite a bit smaller than it ends up being after several months. Some of my silkies are so small one in particular that her first few eggs were the size of quail eggs. Now they are almost twice that size but are more long than round.

Congrats!

8. technodoll

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    thanks again so much everyone, i am just so thrilled no matter the size of the egg, such a good girl she is!

although I will have to carefully check the run and coop every day now as I don't know WHERE or WHEN she will lay more eggs... if I catch her getting ready to lay again I will put her in a one of the nesting boxes, of course. Silly girl [​IMG]

if i remember correctly, silkies lay 3 to 4 eggs per week on average once they get going?

9. Maureen&chickens

Maureen&chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Townsend
    My silkie is 6 months and she lays an egg that size just about every day for the last 3 weeks. Every afternoon she snuggles into the nesting boxes and lays one just like that. We've discovered for recipes that you can use 2 of her eggs for every 1 needed in the recipe. Congratulations! [​IMG]

10. technodoll

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    Well today I found my little silkie rummaging around in the nesting boxes late in the afternoon, she was digging and trying to make a nest in each one, getting in and out - finally I went back in the coop at 5pm as it was starting to get dark: no egg, but Blossom (the silkie) was up on the roost ready for the night.

I turned on the light to check things one last time, she flew down and went back up in the nesting boxes again, making a fuss and clucking - this is about 26 hours after her first egg, which she laid outside yesterday.

I left the light on and returned 45 minutes later, she was back up on the roost (no egg in sight) so I turned the light off so the rest of the flock could get ready for the night.

Could she have an egg stuck inside her??

I was so sure she would lay her 2nd egg with her behaviour but nothing -

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by