1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

OMG!!!! So excited but wasn't ready today!!!

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by brandibaby23, Sep 14, 2010.

1. brandibaby23

brandibaby23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2009
    New Paris, Pa 15554
    OK so my cockatiels had eggs 3 of them, then the female got hurt and wouldn't lay and then the male stopped laying, now right now I have 3 eggs hatching and peeping!!!! (I put them in my incubator with my chicken eggs "just in case they weren't dead") and now they are hatching I am going to have to go out and buy the baby bird food for them. but I have a few questions first. WHat is the best kind to buy for baby cockatiels? When should they start to eat? today or are they like chickens and can go a day before they start to eat? How often do they need to eat I thought I read every 2 hours? I tried putting the peeping egg in the nest box because both the parents are back in the cage now, the father seems interested but not the mother. But i didn't want the egg to get cold so it is back in the incubator now. Any words of wisdom would be great this will be my first time raising cockatiels. I am a vet tech but never dealt with cockatiels, i raise chickens and baby mammals. Help So excited but scared I wanna do it right !!

Sorry this was posted in another thread but I need a reply soon I am leaving in an hour and half!!

2. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    There are TONS of good articles on handfeeding parrots and 'tiels .. they are pretty easy. It's been YEARS since I've done it, but the hand feeding formula will have all the instructions on the package for consistancy and frequency ..

I think I fed every 2 hours for several days .. *yawn* ..

Let us know how it goes!

~tg

3. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Quote:Sorry, I couldn't get past this...

4. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009

I'm sure she meant "sitting" .. so I had no problem getting past it .. [​IMG]

5. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007

I'm sure she meant "sitting" .. so I had no problem getting past it .. [​IMG]

Okay then, I love cockatiels and think it's cool to have them breed for you. I couldn't help myself with what I perceived to be a potential little piece of wit (I'm like that - but I'll be good from now on).

6. brandibaby23

brandibaby23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2009
    New Paris, Pa 15554

Whoops LMAO!! I meant laying on the eggs lol

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  7. Surehatch

Surehatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2009
    Georgia

[​IMG]

8. chicknduck

chicknduck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2010
    Ohio
    me either. I hope all goes well.

9. macdoogle

macdoogle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    San Diego
    You say you're a vet tech . If there's an avian vet in your area call them and ask for advice. My pair of tiels is raising 3-3.5 week old chicks. Their first hatch as well as mine. So far they have done a great job. At times I felt like they were neglecting the eggs and then the chicks but that was not the case. I've found the advice from the vet very helpful. As far as "the male stopped laying" thing. I've seen some pretty funny typos and have been quilty of them too. I've also gotten very exiced about the egg laying and hatching. Good luck with your babies.

10. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    I would like to see some pics when available...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by