OMG!!! So my sick hen just laid this! (Pics)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Katie Pigtails, Nov 12, 2011.

1. Katie Pigtails

Katie Pigtails Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2010
    Portland, OR
    [​IMG]

It hard and feels like crumpled shell. She leaked some liquid out first and was straining. I saw this coming out of her vent and gently pulled. And then after that came a shell-less egg.

[​IMG]

She has been sick since Thursday. See https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=596430

I
    have her in a warm tub to try and see if she will push anything else out. What else should I do?

2. ZoeZoo

ZoeZoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2011
    [​IMG] gross! Poor girl. That can't feel good; better out than in! Do you know what's wrong?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
  3. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Looks like the whole thing came out, which is a good thing [​IMG]

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

She may be developing egg yolk peritonitis, an infection inside. It's very common, really. What I do if I suspect that is do 3 days of heavy penicillin injections ( instead of 1/2 cc for a standard size hen, we do 3/4 cc) to ward off infecton and hope it works. That egg may be why she wasn't feeling so perky. Could be there is more inside. If she doesn't perk up over the next couple of days after expelling this, I'd do the penicillin. You can get it at the feed store along with 22 gauge syringes.

5. Katie Pigtails

Katie Pigtails Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Thanks for the advice! Poor girl! She is relaxing on DH's lap after a nice bath and blow dry. Hopefully she will start to feel better.

6. Frithest

Frithest Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2011
    Seattle
    So good you were there watching over her! I hope she's ok.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by