OMG!!!! So the stray that I captured is making a nest!!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by stone_family3, Dec 13, 2011.

1. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    I named her Constance (after the character in Americna Horror Story), she has a pretty nice set up with an old dog kennel. Well I gave her a cat carrier for a nesting box and she's actually moving hay in and digging in it. I'm sorta excited, I can't wait to go out first thing in the morning and check on her

Here are some pictures of her! She's a beautiful girl and aside from being kinda mean during feeding time she's a pretty well behaved. I think she might be New Zealand, but I don't know she's a big one.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    So how did you capture her, and where was she when you found her?

3. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
    [​IMG] Good luck!!

4. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    How exciting!!! Now I wish I had a bunny [​IMG] .

5. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Quote:I had been seeing domestic rabbits in my yard and the neighbors for several weeks, I didn't see her though. I caught her in a hava-hart trap with some carrots, apples, and pellets. I've had her for a few weeks now and she's calmed down some, but when food comes her way she does get kinda bunny vicious. LOL.

6. Jamie_Dog_Trainer

Jamie_Dog_Trainer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Washington State
    One warning about the crate as a nest box though. [​IMG] I thought a small crate would work well too, except I lost three babies in my first litter because they wiggled out of the crate and got too cold to survive [​IMG] It was a completly preventable situation had I known better. If you can somehow make a small barrier a couple of inches high in the doorway it will probably save you a lot of stress. [​IMG]

7. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Quote:I plan on putting one on there, just didn't want to disturb her [​IMG] I had a mini lop give birth to 4 in the same crate so I saw how far newborn buns can go.

8. Jamie_Dog_Trainer

Jamie_Dog_Trainer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Washington State
    Quote:I plan on putting one on there, just didn't want to disturb her [​IMG] I had a mini lop give birth to 4 in the same crate so I saw how far newborn buns can go.

Great! [​IMG] I was so ignorant to how much those day old bunnies can move around. I felt so bad when I realized that they were getting out (at first I didn't realize they were getting out and I thought the Mom was taking them out [​IMG] )

9. Brody's Broodello

Brody's Broodello Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2009
    Maryland
    Yeah putting up a little barrier is important. Sometimes a doe will hop out, with the kit still attached! Good luck, my hubby & I used to breed & show Netherland Dwarfs, and New Zealands tend to be GREAT mothers, better than the Netherlands,lol!

10. goofy98

goofy98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2011
    Prineville
    Quote:it cinda looks like a flemish new zealand cross or just one or the other [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by