OMG sweetest thing ever; introduced 7 week old with Cornish old biddie

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by momdogz, Jul 4, 2011.

1. momdogz

momdogz Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2008
    Vermont
    I have six 4 year old hens (3 leghorn, 2 cornish, one sex link), and just got 25 new chicks the 3rd week of May. At 4 weeks old, I introduced the chicks at night to the old biddies, and they had their own little apartment that they could run in/out of when I opened the door just a chick-size bit after a few days of them being together.

I've watched closely for signs of overt/dramatic aggression, especially since there are 3 baby silkie bantams and 4 buff polish, and have only seen some minor hustling here and there - no blood, quite civilized actually. One of the cornish hens was making a new, deeper clucking sound, and seemed to be trying to herd some of the pullets. Being relatively new to this, I couldn't tell if she was preparing to be aggressive, or wanting to be a mother hen. She tends to be broodier than the others, so I suspected it was the latter.

I saw proof of it tonight when I did an after-dark bedtime check in the henhouse. While the little ones were still in a pile spilling out of the fresh hay in one of the nest boxes as they usually do at night, two of the babies were on the top roost with the others, snuggled right next to that cornish hen - in fact the little buff orpington was under the hen's belly and wing.

It was so sweet I have to go back out and look at it again. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  2. Theapplechicks

Theapplechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    How precious! Good for them! I would have to sneak out to watch too!

my little game hen hatched out 4 babies this May and my Blue Cochin started this deep new cluck and she has become the new mother, or I guess a second mother. The chicks follow her every move and when she clucks they run! Today they were outside and something spooked them and they all ran for the cover of the bushes and the hatching mama was over by me. She started calling her babies frantically and Baby Blue (cochin) hollars out and she went running over there. It was like, "got em, there over here!" lol She sleeps w/ them and their hatching mama every night. All 6 of them in one nest box! lol! It was kinda a good thing because she had gone broody and we couldn't break her from it for much time at all. I think she's finally happy.

3. momdogz

Sep 28, 2008
    Vermont
    Quote:I love it!

I did just go peek again, and they were still snuggling.

Love these birds!

4. earnhardtlvr

earnhardtlvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    u went out and looked at them 2x and didn't take any pictures????? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. momdogz

Sep 28, 2008
    Vermont
    Quote:I thought about it long and hard, and couldn't do it because I knew the flash would scare them! Oh well. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by