OMG Teenage Roos!

booker81

Redneck Tech Girl
9 Years
Apr 18, 2010
Mid-MI
What boys!!!!

I have 4 roos in my flock of 17. All four hit that lovely stage at the same time, since they were purchased at the same time as chicks from TSC - 15 weeks old now.

All 4 have raging boy hormones. They really like my older ladies, who know the drill, but ugh. When one starts the rest want to do it too -at the same time.

I've been keeping an eye on my girls, thus far just mussed feathers, no plucking, no bad. They turn around and whomp the boys if they get rough or gang up.

But really! I feel almost embarrassed my DD's swingset is by the run! (She 2.5). Almost embarrassed...not enough to do anything, nor would I. ( I was looking at flushed horse embryos for embryo transfer when I was three.)

Of course, all four have crowing contests all day long, which don't bother me, and apparently our neighbor really likes it.

Just waiting to see if anyone is going to end up in freezer camp...one of the most dominant roos came after me a few weeks ago, but a whack from the flipflop chastised him. At this point, if any of the boys try anything on us, they will be dinner. No chances with DD, and she enjoys them too much to have a roo come after her.

But holy chicken lovin'!

The teenage behaviour won't stop and the roosters may start to get really nasty with each other. You may have to get rid of some.

Your hens will get pretty moth eaten on their backs, too, and you may need poultry saddles.

With regard to children seeing the 'activities'.....most kids are just curious and b not concerned,

Sandie

The plan is to let the roos decide who lives and who is dinner....and right now there is a prime candidate for dinner of the four. The naughty one is the most aggressive, most dominant, and has taken to posturing to my husband and today, my daughter. She's 2, and she likes to follow/chase the chickens around - they just jog along in front of her or ignore her (she doesn't want to pick them up, but they will allow it). The other boys take part in it, and either ignore her or jog in front of her.

"The White One" as DH calls it, took to following my daughter at a jog and I saw feathers raising, so I yelled at him, along the lines of "Keep it up and you'll be dinner tonight!" He stopped, thought about it, and started after her again (she's oblivious) and my husband went after him - and the roo turned and postured at him. That one doesn't go after me, but a few weeks ago he came up and started pecking me all over, and I whacked him with a flipflop.

So, I'm hoping he will chill out enough for me NOT to be in a leg immobilizer before I dispatch him, but he's on the edge, and will be the first to go. He's a BIG SLW, bigger than the other two SLW. The RIR is bigger than him, but much more laid back and very tolerant.

I know some folks say it's not good to "chase" them, but DD likes being somewhat near to them, and has followed them all over since they were little. When they get tired of her, they go into the run, where she's not allowed. This one roo is the only one who's showing issues with it, and rather than remove her, he's going. I also shoo them to the run when free time is done, and he's lagged before, not posturing, but I think he was really debating it.

They are still silly boys
smile.png
He's just losing the battle.

ETA: I got them with intention of some of them being dinner, which is why I got straight run.

Last edited:
cook him tonight.

With a two year old out there with the hens, she will be the first target. DO NOT RISK HER EYES FOR ANYTHING.

With your daughter outside, I really would not recommend keeping ANY rooster for several years, until she is much taller than they are.

Butcher them all. I too had small children, and some roosters, and I was NOT paying close enough attention, as they never bothered me, or her when she was with me. An old rancher was visiting and he pointed out what I was risking.

Go outside, sit on the ground, and see how that alters your view point. The thing is, it is not like they are going to hand you a note that says, "Today, I am going to flog your daughter." It can happen in an instant.

Mrs.K

I processed 3 today:) They were not nasty in the least but at 13 weeks old I was done feeding them:-( MInd you I have 5 roos Im keeping but the other 13 yup 13 are headed for freezer camp if they dont get sold....I made a feather plucker today and it was amazing-wish I would have done it a long time ago to process the roos the way it should be done!

I guess I should count myself lucky so far..
fl.gif
I've just got the two roos that I know of, my as yet unidentified breed and my silkie who is afraid to do anything let alone crow! My obnoxious guy is a sweetie pie but he is a loudmouth! He has to warn about everything and everybody that even thinks about coming on the side of the yard that the coop is on! We have a little stray puppy that showed up on Wed. that is small, probably a terrier/chihuahua mix and he loves to harass the rooster! He runs by the coop, gets the crowing started then comes to the other side of the yard, waits till it stops, then goes back for a repeat! As far as the ahem, loving behavior, my rooster chose a girlfriend bigger than he is and that tends to keep any issues down for now.
thumbsup.gif

if your not too embarrassed you might use it as a teaching opportunity. My son learned about babies, egg, sperm and sex (or at least the mounting behavior of chickens and horses) at the age of three. He was fascinated and asked lots of good questions. The timing was good as his aunt was pregnant and he was very upset when he found out boys couldn't be pregnant (He loves babies). When he found out the the male has to contribute the sperm for there to be a baby he was sooo happy. The animals have helped us start an open discussion about sex that I hope will last into his teens, he is almost 7 now.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom