OMG!!! That was Close!!!

Critter Crazy

Songster
12 Years
Apr 19, 2007
Binghamton, NY
Yesterday, the neighbor was walking her dog, and as they passed my place, the dog lunged, and she lost the leash. he took off after my birds!! Agghhh...so as we are trying to catch the darn dog, he spots one of my 5 week olds, and chases!! So now I am realy ticked, as I dont want to lose any of my birds!! The darn dog chases the baby down our hill, and the bird get lodged amoungst some Briars. Thankfully the dog couldnt get to her. So we Grabbed the dog, and I helped her walk him back to her house, as we being quite the pain!! She was very apologetic, and Glad that he didnt catch the bird.
I went back to where the bird, got itself stuck, and it wasnt there! So I went to coop to see if it found its way home, nope not there either! Gahhh.....Now what??? I spent four hours, looking for this bird, to no avail!! I finally gave up around 11:30 pm, hoping the baby would find its way home.
Thankfully it was back the next morning! I woke up to my baby cheeping away!! What a lovely sound to hear!! The baby was fine, had a small patch where some feathers were missing but nothing serious!! Thank you Jesus!!!

So I was so happy the rest of the day, till baout 2:00 in the after noon! I went out to chat with my peeps in the coop, and smelled an awful smell! Immediately recognizing the smell, I freaked!! My coop was on Fire!!! OMG!!! Thankfully i caught it in time, and it was only a small spot!! I forgot after beng so greatful mmy baby was back in the morning, to shut off the heat lamp!! I was so mad at myself!! I almost lost all of my birds!!! One of the hens, must have knocked it over, during the day, and it rested against, the front of the nest boxes, and just smoldered.

Someone was looking out for me today!!

Here is my baby safe at hoome, my BJG
100_9960.jpg

100_9963.jpg

And here is the wood that was catching fire.
100_9977.jpg

100_9935.jpg

Last edited:
Goodness! Someone was certainly watching over your birds today! That's scary about the heat lamp. i burned some of my hair on my heat lamp once, and couldn't figure out where the smell was coming from. Like Tom in the cartoon when Jerry sets his tail on fire....

I always secure the cord of my heat lamps to something so if they get knocked loose, they cannot contact the ground, bedding, walls, etc.Even if you have to run a rope or wire across to tie off the cord to. I have the lamps clamped to hold them where I want them, but with the cord tied off up above so it will swing free. The only problem I have is that my male goat (the goats have a CHE, instead of a light) will stand under it and scorch his fur.

Yes, your Heavenly Father was taking care you as he always does his children. I am very, very happy your babies are all safe and sound!! That one will get it's feathers back in no time. Thank You, Jesus

Whew! Close one! Good thing it turned out ok!

Quote:
LOL I've done that too! I smelt like burnt hair all day... also have caught my hair in car doors, windows, desks... and almost anything else within a 3 foot radius of my head.... it's in a bun 90% of my waking hours now.

Back
Top Bottom