OMG. the FLIES!!! there here there here!!! RUN!!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by shmooborp, Jul 28, 2008.

1. shmooborp

shmooborp artistic fowlism

ok.. i have recently gotten a ridiculous outburst of flies! is there anything that will get rid of them? spray? something?? i hate the fly traps they stink! bleck! edited to fix my horrible spelling LOL

Last edited: Jul 28, 2008
  2. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    DE in the coop will reduce the flies, but not get rid of them. Spray is not a good idea, as the chickens can get it in them/on them. I would use fly paper above the run if DE is not your style. Just don't let it get near the chickens are you will have some sticky situations to deal with!

Before you fix your post, I have to post that this is what you first put:
    ok.. i have recently gotten a ridiculous outburst of lies!

[​IMG]

3. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

I caught that "outburst of lies" too, and think she may have been more right than she knows... [​IMG]

eta: he or she

4. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    I've had an outburst of lies this week too...from my 9 yr old. Too bad sticky LIE tape doesn't exist.

The best thing I've found the cut down the population is those stinky fly traps. I found new ones this year at TSC that are completely disposable that work pretty well - they are stinky though...wouldn't want to use them inside.

5. dangerouschicken

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    I hate the RESCUE fly traps that have the 2 liter bottles. I wouldn't suggest those to anyone. DISGUSTING SMELLING and hardly work.

Sticky fly paper DOES work.

6. lengel

lengel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    MA
    This is more of a long term solution but I have one guinea hen. I have her in a 10' x 10' enclosure between the hens, turkeys and the dog yard. She can't take care of all of them since she's stationary but eventually most of them find their way to her and then, poof, they're gone.

7. dangerouschicken

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    You have only one guinea? Isn't she lonely or does she think the other poultry are her kind?

8. ccrecelius

ccrecelius Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    French Lick, Indiana
    Quote:[​IMG]

What is DE?[​IMG]

9. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

diatomaeceous earth (look in the FAQ section, or do a search for DE) [​IMG]

10. Promiselandfarm

Promiselandfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

get a few ducks. WE had terrible flies earlier and then we got some ducks and they are not near as bad. Still here sadly but not in droves like they were. You would have to let the ducks free range during the day and or around your chickens or where your fly problem is the worst.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by