1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

OMG, The noise of Guinea's...pics too

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by rooster0209, Feb 13, 2009.

1. rooster0209

rooster0209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    As I write this, all of my Guinea's and a few chickens are sunning themselves on the south side of the house. All I can hear is "buckwheat, buckwheat, buckwheat, buckwheat" [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I even saw the cat get off the front porch and sneak off around the house; must have been too noisy for her to enjoy the heat of the sun.

I think the camera scared em away [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  2. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    I've always wanted to get a few guineas but my DH says "no" too noisey he says. Is it an annoying noise? I don't know, never been around them. I'ld still like a few. Can't be any noisier than my kids.[​IMG]

3. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    The Guinea curse is the incesant noise, That was my main reason for not getting them, the wonderfully pleasant sounds of the country would be drowned out by their constant noise.

AL

4. andehens

andehens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Scenic Sierra Nevadas
    my neighbor (we call em deliverance) has guineas, they quiet down after awhile, not very smart though I understand they are easier on the garden as they don't scratch so much!

5. farmertank

farmertank Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    Linden TN
    Guineas are really noisy. I had 2 and thought well this isn't so bad I can get more lol well I ended up with 13 now I'm begging people to take them so I can go back to 2 lol. I'm down to 8 and I think I have someone interested in a few more, so hopefully soon I can have just 2 [​IMG]

6. rooster0209

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    Quote:The more the merrier, I say. I have 19 and when I walk into the coop its deafening. I bet the chickens cant wait for me to open the doors and let everyone out

7. CrimsonRose

CrimsonRose Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    That's hilarious! Hubby won't allow me to get them... just too noisy

8. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

I had guineas - I didn't mind the noise so much as the agression towards my other fowl.

They were raised from chicks right in the same coop, too - but certain hens they had decided shouldn't be allowed to eat - or come near the other hens. They would chase and thump them and beat on them.

The guineas found a new home [​IMG]

meri

9. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    I wouldn't trade ours for anything, they roam thru the yard and woods around the house eating every bug that moves. People around us complain about the ticks in the summer, I always say "ticks what ticks?" Yes they can be noisy but....... so are turkeys, the roosters that start crowing about 3 am.

Steve in NC

10. rooster0209

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    I love my guineas too. Before I got them, my poor doxie went 'hunting' in the shelter belt around the farm and came out with 36 ticks crawling on her. I bought Guinea's that summer. The next spring and summer the dog only had 2 or 3 the whole year and I never found one on the cats!

Usually I barely hear them with 7 acres for them to roam on and I barely fed them at all last summer

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by