OMG the power went out, are my eggs going to die?? (They hatched!)

Discussion in 'Quail' started by owlett5, Dec 29, 2013.

1. owlett5

owlett5 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2007
    Turner, Maine
    Omg as if I hadn't already had enough issues with this eggs, with the first shipment being frozen, I finally have a good batch of eggs and the power went out. They are on day ten. We have no power and there's no way to warm them.

Are they going to die???

2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Do you have a way to heat water ?

3. owlett5

Aug 15, 2007
    Turner, Maine
    Nope, the stove is electric ):

4. owlett5

Aug 15, 2007
    Turner, Maine
    How long will they tolerate being kept at less than optimal temps? The room temp of the house is about 68 degrees, and they are in the incubator, which I haven't opened, so it should stay above thatfor at least an hour I would guess. The worst part is that this is happening while I"m at work, so I can't get home to my eggs. I found out the power went out when my friend alerted me that my skype call ended and it never resigned in. So I can assume that they are without power.

We're getting some heavy snow right now too, so I was worried this might happen. ):

5. enola

I left my incubator open for 10 hours one time and over half of the eggs still hatched. .....

Do you have a friend that still has electric on?

6. owlett5

Aug 15, 2007
    Turner, Maine

That's really good to know that you still had hatch after leaving it open for so long! Sadly I don't really know anyone in this area yet, I just moved up here not too long ago, and the only people I know also happen to be the people I work with lol . . .

I work a 12 hour night shift so hopefully when I get home I have power. Hopefully I get hatch!! >.< I crossed my fingers and I promise if I get even one chick, any bird that hatches is going to be freezer-free for the rest of its natural life!

7. enola

Lights back on yet?

8. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

Start a fire and heat up some rocks. Then put those rocks under the incubator. How do you think incubators worked a thousand years ago? [​IMG]

Ok but seriously you will probably still get a hatch out of them as long. Keep in mind the hen gets up to eat/drink when she is setting them so there are tolerances. I had to leave on a family emergency once and moved my eggs to an ice chest incubator and ran it off the power inverter in my truck. it ran about 80* for at least 12 hours. I still got a hatch out of those eggs

9. owlett5

Aug 15, 2007
    Turner, Maine
    The power came back on during the night and they are back to temp. I'm keeping myself hopefull. Lockdown is at the end of the weeks here's hoping!

10. WaterfowlWierdo

WaterfowlWierdo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2013
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    I set my first batch of coturnix eggs earlier this moths and after candling, I forgot to close the lid for close to 6 hrs and I still got 15 out of 32 eggs hatched.....then my mothers cat got in the bedroom and got two babies and knocked the brooder lamp down....burnt a hole in the floor but didnt kill any other chicks thank god

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by