OMG! The vertigo! I almost lost it.

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by gritsar, May 11, 2010.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Okay, I used to have a fear of bridges, which is more like a fear of heights since some bridges - the 7 mile bridge to the Florida Keys for instance - don't bother me a bit, but they're not high. I've walked over the Royal Gorge Bridge in Colorado, didn't bother me because I was walking, not driving.
    I can trace this fear to an incident that happened on the George Washington bridge in NY when I was a young child and my brother decided to torture me.
    I overcame this fear many years ago crossing the Mighty Mississippi on my way to Arkansas, driving by myself in rush hour traffic.
    Today we had to drive to the city for DH to see the orthopedist. On our way home we were stuck at a redlight on a bridge that they are currently working on and I just about lost it.
    I was dizzy, had I eaten beforehand I would have lost it. DH was talking a mile a minute and I had to ask him to be quiet, because somehow sound was making it worse. I silently begged the light to change and it seemed to take forever. It was overall a very horrible feeling.
    After we left Road Construction City, TX we had to cross at least 10 bridges to get home and I was fine with them, as always.
    I don't understand why my mind chose that bridge at that moment to remind me of my fear of bridges. [​IMG]

2. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    HAHAHAHA! My grandma has the same thing. My grandma holds her breath over every bridge we go over. Those with water especially. She can't swim. I offered swimming lessons, but she said heck no.

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I'm not crazy about heights either...
    But only if i'm like standing and looking down... I get all dizzy feeling..
    If i'm driving or something, it doesnt bother me.
    I think thats why i always fall down steps... [​IMG]

Last edited: May 11, 2010
  4. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

the bridge to cape cod always makes me shaky, and I have to snap at the kids to BE QUIET! it's super tall, and when traffic is bad, people are just whizzing past you the other direction, or you're practically touching the edge... i HATE IT!!!

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:See now, you must not suffer from a phobia or you wouldn't be laughing. I sympathize with your grandma. It's the worst thing to suddenly feel like you are going to die, especially while you are driving.

6. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Oh no, I wasn't meaning to laugh at you. I was laughing at how my grandma grabbed my arm while I was driving her across the bridge near Salina, OK. Scared me to death until after the bridge was over and she exhaled.

I am TERRIBLY, inexplicably scared of fiddleback spiders. They are the only ones I'm afraid of. When I was younger, and to this day, the fiddlebacks CHASE me. If I'm on the ground, they run at me. If I'm laying in bed, they crawl over my face. I have had a fiddleback sitting in my mouth while I was asleep. The ONLY reason I woke up is because I "felt" it's legs moving to get out of my mouth. It was NOT a small one either.

7. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Gritsar,

Several years ago I had a good friend that was afraid of driving through tunnels. All he would ever say about it was "the rock people would throw rocks down on the car" Everytime we went through a tunnel whoever was driving would have to lay on the horn, all the way through, to scare the rock people away. He passed in the 90's, and to this day I think about it every time I drive through a tunnel.

Imp

8. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    We had an older bridge here that had those metal sheet thingies on top. It was kinda like a drawbridge. It would make your car shift left to right to left,slightly will driving. I hated it. They finally laid asphalt over it. Growing up in the Keys I was used to bridges, but this one I hated.

9. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

Don't feel bad, Kat - I have it, too. Zoloft takes the edge off.

10. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Not afraid of bridges but something about the highest hills or the St Louis Arch, when my ears popped, I would get nausated sick. Once I am at the top, I'm ok after a few minutes sitting. Then it happens again when I go back down, sick again. Either I have the untold fear or is it something else it is making me sick?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by