OMG THEY STARTED LAYING (at least one of them did....)

Fluffychickens6

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 17, 2014
OMGGGGG THEY STARTED LAYING!!!!! but i found 7 eggs.... in one spot and i have two chickens ( one rhode island red and one buff orpington).... either they BOTH started laying 3ish days ago or one started a week ago... i'll have to find out 2morrow prob... it was raining a lot so i didnt go out and check their box.... i only added food thats it....

BUT i was wondering if their nesting box should just consist of pine shavings? and... they use to sleep in their nesting boxes so im not sure if they do anymore... they do have a roost (its pretty low tho)
ALSO should i still have them eating their grower feed ( i still have A LOT) so.... wht should i do with it and should they finish that bag first or should i just start on their layer feed which i do not have.... (i'll buy it soon tho... wht brand is best? we dont have many feed stores nearby either... :/ only 2 ik of)

AND... should i leave the two round stones in there to encourage them to lay in that spot? also any treat ideas i could reward them with for starting to lay? ^_^

THANK YOU

Congrats on the eggs, that is always exciting. Now that they are laying you can keep feeding them the grower feed until your out of it just provide them with oyster shell on the side. Now that they have started to lay you don't need the stones in there. Pine shavings are fine. Just make sure there is enough to cushion the drop of the egg so it won't get cracked. As far as feed goes everyone has their own opinion. Where you live also will determine what is available. I just use the organic feed from our local feed store. Someone that lives in your area may see your post and tell you what they use. If the chickens are sleeping in the boxes you will want to break them of that or you will end up with eggs that have poo on them eventually. You can block the nesting boxes late at night and open them back up early in the morning. I used 3 gallon plastic plant containers to fill the box. It will only take a few times and your chickens should start to use the roost.

Congrats on the eggs, that is always exciting. Now that they are laying you can keep feeding them the grower feed until your out of it just provide them with oyster shell on the side. Now that they have started to lay you don't need the stones in there. Pine shavings are fine. Just make sure there is enough to cushion the drop of the egg so it won't get cracked. As far as feed goes everyone has their own opinion. Where you live also will determine what is available. I just use the organic feed from our local feed store. Someone that lives in your area may see your post and tell you what they use. If the chickens are sleeping in the boxes you will want to break them of that or you will end up with eggs that have poo on them eventually. You can block the nesting boxes late at night and open them back up early in the morning. I used 3 gallon plastic plant containers to fill the box. It will only take a few times and your chickens should start to use the roost.
Congrats! I agree With Urban Flock. Also, if possible raise your roost bar higher than your nest boxes. That will encourage them to use that rather than the nest boxes.

I see... ty! I'll remove the stones ^_^
wee.gif

I've tried closing it many times but every night i would hear lyk scratchy noises and stuff lyk and i checked on them and they were trying to get into the boxes... is that normal for the first few nights?

I have the exact same one as a grow out pen. As long as the perches are in place they will eventually start using them. Blocking the nests will speed that up. I cheat and move them to the main pen before they lay. I have an egg eater being "worked on" living in it now. I have dummy eggs in the boxes and she managed to break a ceramic egg sigh. Gratz on the eggs!

Yes that's normal. They are used to going into the boxes so it will just take a few nights and they will stop. Maybe a week at the most. Don't worry about the scratching they will eventually give up.

I see.... thank you all! :D I'll surely try it out :) Hope they get use to it ^-^
I also found out that only one of my chickens were laying XD I'm not sure who yet but im pretty sure it's my RIR cuz her comb is a lot bigger and a bit redder....? also she stays in the top part of the coop longer than my buff :)
any1 know when do buffs start to lay? also why does she keep crowing? she has food and water.... treats mayb?

Back
Top Bottom