OMG! They're ALL fertile?!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SkyWarrior, Aug 6, 2011.

1. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Oh happy dance! [​IMG]

I made the best investment -- a Brinsea mini advance. I wanted one, but couldn't justify the expense. I kept getting eggs that didn't do anything.

I bought one, grabbed some eggs from the hens and the refrigerator, (from my hens, a day old), and set them.

Well, it's day 17 and I thought I'd candle them. Figured the refrigerated eggs wouldn't do anything. How wrong I was!

Every single one has a live embryo! I couldn't believe it. I put them back in, and I'm leaving the incubator alone except to put water in the reservoirs. Beyond that, I'm letting the incubator handle it all.

So, my roosters are fertile. I'll probably have chickies in 17 days. And hopefully, I won't be disappointed again. And I might just start like incubating eggs again. [​IMG]

2. jfulcher

jfulcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Tucson, AZ 85712
    Oh wow! Congrats!!1

3. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] Love my Brinsea!! [​IMG]

4. MommaBugg

MommaBugg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2011
    NE MICHIGAN
    Quote:how much do those go for?

5. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Quote:how much do those go for?

The Brinsea advanced is $119 on sale at Brinsea .

6. mrkpero

mrkpero Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    Your post makes me so excited! I just got my Brinsea mini advance 2 days ago and I am waiting till spring to use it. I am hoping I'll be able to find some blue Ameracauna/ee eggs to incubate. I'm going to subscribe to this post. Update us on how your hatch goes! Thanks for sharing.

7. mrkpero

mrkpero Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    Oh, I also wanted to add, if you join Brinsea's Facebook page they give you a coupon code you can apply at checkout and get an extra 10 percent off. Helps pay some of the shipping.

8. okiedrifter

okiedrifter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    I buy refriderated eggs from all the time from our local feed store and hatch them....as long as they havent been washed its okay

9. skillswife

skillswife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    SW Montana
    How exciting! I took 7 out of my fridge and I am about day 13-15 and only 1 wasn't fertile. They other 6 are taking over the eggs so I hope my broody can hatch them all. I really need to just save up for that bator.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by