omg this is horrible!!!! HELP!!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 77horses, Sep 11, 2008.

1. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    HELP!!! While I was at school, my bator with my one fertile egg that is now on day 11 i think fell over!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I don't know how long the egg was without heat, but my sister called me and told me that when she got home it was like that. She said she fixed it and put the light back on, but she also said the egg felt cold! [​IMG] I AM REALLY REALLY REALLY WORRIED!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] the baby chick has done so well in the homemade bator and it has been wiggling around a lot lately! [​IMG] [​IMG] I checked for cracks but there weren't any. [​IMG] At least it didn't crack!
    PLEASE TELL ME THE CHICK WILL BE OK!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] I can still see the eye of it and it isn't really moving, but i think that's just because it is getting bigger and i read they stop moving because of limited room.

HELP! Please give me any advise! i HOPE MY BABY IS OK! [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Thanks!

2. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

Gosh< i would be interested to hear the answer too. Hopefully he'll be ok. Could you check on him every few hours and see if maybe he (or she) moves around a little between checking?

3. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I am so sorry but it will be ok. If the chick is still moving then thats a good sign. I hope the chick makes it!

4. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I can't talked to the fall and it's affects on the chick but, as of the power outage read this excerpt.

Info on power outages during Incubation.
    From- A Guide to Raising Chickens by Gail Damerow

The more valuable your hatching eggs are, the more likely it is that the electricity will go out during incubation. If you have an uninterruptable power source (UPS) for your computer or other electronic equipment, consider disconnecting the usual equipment and using the UPS to power your incubator. If the outage comtinues beyond its capacity to keep your incubator running, or you don't have an UPS, open the incubator and let the eggs cool until the power goes back on.

Trying to keep the eggs warm is likely to cause abnormal embryo development. Furthermore, if you close the vents or wrap the incubator with blankets in your attempt to keep eggs warm, a greater danger than temperature loss is oxygen deprivation. Developing embryos use up oxygen rather rapidly, and the oxygen level may soon fall below that necessary to keep them alive.

As soon as the power goes back on, close the incubator and continue operating it as usual. The effect of the outage on your hatch will depend on how long the power was out and on how long the eggs had been incubated before the outage. A power failure of up to 12 hours may not significally affect the hatch (except to delay it somewhat), especially if the outage occurred during the early incubation, when cooled embryos naturally tend to go dormant. Embryos that are close to term generate enough heat to carry them through a short-term outage.

5. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    ok...I'm still worried but you guys helped make me more hopeful in him/her being ok. I think it was without heat for about 4+ or lower hours. Not sure. Definitely not more than 12! But he isn't moving that much......[​IMG]

6. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    You should be fine... I don't know about the fall, either, but let it settle and come back up to temps then re-candle it to make sure there's still movement. I had a broody get kicked off the nest for several hours when the coop was 45°F, and the eggs hatched just fine once I moved her away from the other girls. [​IMG] If the shock of the fall didn't hurt it, the cold certainly shouldn't. Hens get off the nest all the time.
    [​IMG] Keep us posted.

7. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Quote:On the second day of incubation we had a 4 hour power outage. I had covered the incubator to keep it as warm as possible. The wiggler temp fell to 90F.

The first egg just pipped, you can see it on the Camera posted in this forum.

HTH

8. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    Last year when I was hatching buff orpingtons my circuit breaker kicked off when I was asleep for 8+ hours. I had almost a 100% hatch. The extras did not make it because they were to weak to hatch.

9. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Quote:On the second day of incubation we had a 4 hour power outage. I had covered the incubator to keep it as warm as possible. The wiggler temp fell to 90F.

HTH

Yours only fell to 90 degrees F.??? WOW! That's not bad! [​IMG] Mine dropped passed 80! [​IMG] that makes me nervous....
    thanks again everyone! temp.seems to be rising.

10. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]

HTH

Yours only fell to 90 degrees F.??? WOW! That's not bad! [​IMG] Mine dropped passed 80! [​IMG] that makes me nervous....
    thanks again everyone! temp.seems to be rising.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by