OMG this is wierd.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Bantymama, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Bantymama

Bantymama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    MN
    I decided to make brownies. Okay no problem. Get every thing ready i crack my eggs on plate before i use them to check for fertility. I crack my first egg and what comes out a partcialy developed chick. It was very small about 1 in long. How far along do you think it was. I do have a brooby hen in there that are due to hatch next week. Did not smell or seem rotten. This was just awfull.

2. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    My Grandpa used to love to eat those kind of eggs. Grossed all us kids out. But we were relieved that he ate all the 'funky' eggs, so we didn't have to (nothing was wasted on their ranch).

3. babychickfarmer

babychickfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh man that is my worst nightmare! I don't think I would ever be able to eat another egg agian if this happened to me. This is why im goin to stick with non fertile eggs.

4. Bawkadoodledoo

Bawkadoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    Central MA
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    In some Asain countries duck eggs like that are commonly eaten.

6. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    Quote:yep, they are soft boiled, and it's called Balut. Ucky.

It's hard to say how far along it was, I've only ever seen different stages through the shell. Did you accidently take one of the broodies eggs? They develope very quickly in the last week or so of developement.

7. Bantymama

Bantymama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    MN
    I went out and counted her eggs and she still has 4. She is seperated from the rest of the chickens now. Unless when she got up to eat another one went in and laid one and that one rolled out. Im gona candle the rest of the eggs that were brought in the last couple of days and see if there are more or maybe just through them all away.

8. suenrob

suenrob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Ft. Myers, FL
    :barnieOh No!!! Now I'm going to have a phobia everytime i go to crack an egg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. suenrob

suenrob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Ft. Myers, FL
    OK, how come when I click on a smilie to use, I just get its name instead of the smilie!!!!

10. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    The smilie picture loads on the page after you submit the post.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by