OMG! This was gross

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by lds_horselover2005, May 16, 2009.

1. lds_horselover2005

lds_horselover2005 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2008
    South Central PA
    I went to a person's house today to pick up chicks. I took my baby sister with me and the lady showed us her animals. I felt so bad for them. She has chickens (lots), pigeons, ducks, geese, peafowl, guineas, pheasants, a dog, a horse, goats, rabbits, and cats (60 some of them). It smelled like a garbage dump. The poo was piled up on the floor (the cages had wire floors that allowed waste to fall thru onto the ground), and a majority of the smaller animals were all in small pens like they are at poultry shows. The pens were just stacked on each other inside small sheds, or lean too type shelters. The animals all looked healthy, but man that was nasty. I know I shouldn't have, but I bought 3 peeps from her. I felt bad for them. I didn't want them to end up like the others. She told me it takes her 6 hours to feed all of her animals. My mom wonders if the township knows about it. I know a few animal groups wouldn't be too happy if they saw it all. EWWW!!!

2. vtsarahb

vtsarahb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Bradford, VT
    sounds like a hoarder... I would call the humane society or something if I were you!

3. The Wolf Queen

The Wolf Queen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Call the ASAP NOW!!! If the person is a horder she thinks she is helping but she isnt! Those poor animals need to be taken away ASAP!!!

4. preppy*hippie*chick

preppy*hippie*chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Centerburg, Ohio
    I'd be afraid. Did you see Southernbelle's thread where she has to cull her entire flock because of chronic respiratory disease that was introduced from a trio of bantams. She says she'll never buy started chicks or birds again and I think I won't either. Apparently if they survive it they are lifelong carriers with no symptoms! Too scary for me. She is culling over 100 birds because of three.

5. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    I agree. Call she won't know who it is. The animals and she will be much better off.

6. WisconsinChick

WisconsinChick Chillin' With My Peeps

aspca asap [​IMG] best of luck, i hope they get help

7. lds_horselover2005

lds_horselover2005 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2008
    South Central PA
    I have been contemplating on calling the SPCA. The peeps aren't around any of the rest of my flock, so I will be watching very closely. She said she adopts out the cats. She has them dumped on her property and she takes them in because she lives on a very busy road. The bad thing is is that most if not all aren't neutered/spayed. One of them even had kittens.

8. Debi214

Debi214 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    Richmond, VA
    Where at in PA? I still think you should call - I am here giving you strength ==== [​IMG]

9. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    You said the animals were healthy looking. So apparently they aren't being starved or neglected with the exception of the 'nasty' part.

I'm certainly not going to judge this woman and say she doesn't deserve to raise/sell animals because I don't know the whole situation and I wasn't there to witness this but if it is tugging on your heart you have the right to call a higher authority and let them go check it out. You can call your Health Dept.s Environmental department and they will check on animals health/living conditions.

I'll be sending prayers your way on this situation. Good Luck.

10. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Make sure to quarantine the birds you bought for a month before introducing them to your flock. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by